What's This Fabric Made From?

Did you ever wonder that when you're shopping at your local thrift store or at a one-dollar-a-yard "undetermined fiber content" fabric table at Walmart? Well, I always carry a small lighter in my purse or glove compartment. You simply pull off 3 or 4 threads from the end of the fabric bolt or from an inside seam of a piece from the thrift store, then take it outside to a paved parking lot and carefully light the threads on fire.

If it's a "natural fiber" (like cotton, linen, or silk) or a "man-made" fiber (made from cellulose like rayon), the threads will burn away to just ash, but it won't smell. If it's a protein fiber (like wool, alpaca or cashmere), it will burn to ash, but will smell like burning hair (because that's what it is!). If it's a synthetic fiber (like polyester, or acrylic) it will drip and melt into a hard "plastic" ball when it cools. Of course, sometimes, Lycra will be added to cotton for stretch, or you'll have a mix of bit natural and synthetic fibers, but this usually works!

WARNING: Don't burn any fibers inside a store, or you could be charged with arson, always go outside, somewhere where it's safe, like a paved parking lot! Please use care and roll your sleeves up and tie your hair back when doing this, as sometimes the flames can get a bit high. I usually burn my fiber-threads over a sink full of water for safety. If you're like me and only like the feel of natural fibers next to you skin, or if you only want something permanent-press and prefer synthetics, you'll appreciate this handy trick!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Crafts FabricMarch 11, 2008
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 7:56:14 PM on 10.0.1.111 in 997 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.