Using Warm Compresses on Dog's Swollen Eye

I have a Maltese with a severe eye infection I am assuming as her left eye was totally closed yesterday afternoon. I took warm compresses to loosen gook around her eye. It was quite an effort to clean the area around her eye, but I finally removed enough hair and gook to see her eyeball.

Nonetheless I have NeoPolyBac Ophth ointment I used last night on the eye and according to directions it says not to use it more than every 12 hours. This morning I was able to see her eye, but over the day (even after her morning dose of drops) it seems to run and start gooing up again.

Her vet isn't in until Tuesday and I am hoping warm compresses are OK to apply to her eye throughout the day. She is cooperative yet I don't want to risk eye damage. Is it okay to keep applying warm compresses to the eye area throughout the day and will it effect the strength of the eye drops? Please advise.

By Joni from Tarpon Springs, FL

Your dog may have something in her eye. Can you call the vet and get advice over the phone? If it looks really bad I'd take her to an emergency animal hospital or clinic. Hope the eye gets better.

The warm compresses shouldn't hurt the dog providing they are just warm, not hot, especially is there is swelling. They probably feel good to her. She definitely needs to see the vet. Sounds like she is a brave little trooper. I hope the vet can fix her eye quickly. Good luck!

Check out and see if there are any remedies that will help before you can get her to the vet..,I might give her a dose of benadryl, here is the dosage. I am not sure about this, call the vet and ask if you should.

Woman treating a dog's eyes.
Treating a Dog's Eyes
Pets Dogs HealthMay 30, 2010
Treating a Cat's Swollen Chin
Treating a Cat's Swollen Chin
man using eye drops
Using Eye Drops
Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies
A Shar Pei dog under a blanket.
Keeping a Dog Warm at Night