Dark Underarms

My underarms look very dark, as well my thighs. What can I do to remove the darker skin coloration?

By Gayathri from India

The only thing I can suggest is scrubbing with a soapy washcloth and some sugar or cornmeal, or lentil flour, something grainy. I wouldn't use any chemicals of any kind because there are lymph nodes under the arm and you don't want that skin to absorb a foreign substance, as the lymph nodes filter out toxins. In fact it is suggested that women massage under their arms as a possible preventative of breast cancer because it stimulates the lymph glands to do their job better.

The reason I suggest the corn meal, etc. is that my daughter has a brown complexion and years ago I had made my own facial scrub with a wash off cream and corn meal. My daughter was a teen and she scrubbed valiantly every day so she would never have pimples. She literally scrubbed away so many skin cells she got down to 'the pink' under the ordinary brown shade of her skin. The only reason one has dark coloring under arms, or anywhere, like on elbows etc. is the skin is thicker there, therefore more pigment and scrubbing nicely but not too harshly should take off a layer, as well as leave skin smooth.

However, as with my daughter, do not get carried away or you could cause scar tissue to form and make the matter worse. Probably just 2 times a week would do it for the first week or two, and then once a week.

Darker skin on the neck, armpits or thighs is also a possible indication of diabetes. I heard somewhere that it is a strong indicator. It might be a good idea to read this list of symptoms & see if you need to get checked out.

Close up of an armpit with dark marks
Remedies for Dark Underarms
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care BodyApril 23, 2010
Dark Hair
Dyeing Hair Dark Naturally
Dark Eyebrows
How to Lighten Dark Eyebrows
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing