Dry Mouth Remedies

I need help with dry mouth.

By moed from Sewell, NJ

I'm on 5 different meds for different reasons and 3 of the meds cause dry mouth. I find that sucking on hard candies during the day really helps. If your worried about calories you can use the sugar free ones.

When I ran, I would put a small pebble inside my cheek to keep my mouth moist. I imagine a small button would do as well and it would be more hygienic.

Dry mouth plauges me as well. I am currently using two OTC remedies that work very well. Biotene is a mouthwash containg bio-active enzymes that really help before bedtime. While I'm on the go I use a little spritzer called Oasis. While both of these are available at the pharmacy you may have to ask for them. They are not very common - they are effective. Sorry, I wish I knew of a home made remedy that would work. Give Biotene and Oasis a try. I believe you'll be pleased with the results, plus, nothing else in your mouth - let me know?

I had such horrible dry mouth from medications I am on I almost lost my teeth. First there is miracle mouthwash a prescription made of benedrl, malanta and lidocain, a pill called evxo(? not sure on the spelling of all this) both of these are used in the treatment of Sjogrens syndrome. I have also stated using a enamel building toothpaste, and a fluoride rinse as the dry mouth is damaging to your teeth

The medication is called Evoxac. It is a prescription and is usually taken 2-3 times per day. Hope that helps!

Try good old glycerin! Put some on a qtip with a little lemon juice and wipe the inside of our lips and mouth.

I am pregnant for the first time and am experiencing dry mouth (and just general funkiness in the mouth). I normally drink a LOT of water and this has never been a problem for me. The best thing I have found is to chew some peppermint gum. Chewing gum keeps that saliva flowing. Good luck!

May 18, 2011 Flag

OK, after all these years is there anything new for dry mouth?

By Linda P

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I chew gum with xylitol, such as Trident, during the day or suck on a piece of hard candy. When I go to bed at night I use biotene oral balance dry mouth moisturizing gel. I put a small amount on my tongue and use it to rub the gel on the roof of my mouth. If I forget, I get the dubious pleasure of peeling my tongue from the roof of my mouth.

I two am plagued with dry mouth and have tried lots of things, but a couple of weeks ago I started brushing with baking soda before bed and it works grate plus my mouth isn't as nasty in the morning.

Biotene is a good product. Biotene comes in a spray, toothpaste, mouthwash and chewing gum.

I have found that very little works for me. The older I get the worse it gets. I also chew gum during the day and carry water with me. It is just something I have learned to live with.

May 8, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know a homemade solution to help with dry mouth? It's due to meds I must take. I am using Biotene Oral Balance which is OK, but only lasts a little while. The condition is awful, especially overnight, the roof of my mouth and tongue are all dry and parched.

Thank you,
Jdoyle

Answers:

Dry Mouth Remedies

There is something you can buy at drug stores. It's like an ointment, and you put a dab in the area of your mouth where the dryness is most problematic. I can't recall the name of this stuff, but it comes in a pink tube. It doesn't taste bad, and it's relatively inexpensive. Compared to many of the alternatives, I think it beats them hands down.

You can also talk to your dentist, and if you have dental insurance, there's stuff that they can give you to put in your mouth overnight. They fit you with a tray which is molded to the shape of your teeth, and you sleep with it in the same way that you would wear a mouth guard. Personally, I preferred the drug store stuff. The name of the ointment type stuff to which I referred earlier might be Orajel.

I have experienced the same problem, and used the stuff often. It's important that you find something that works well for you. A dry mouth is not merely an annoying problem; the consequences can be far more severe, and can include problems with increased cavities and tooth erosion. I hope this helps you. (07/10/2005)

By skbeal

Dry Mouth Remedies

I also have a dry mouth. I take a bottle of water to the bedside at night. One of the reasons for snoring is dry throat, too. I don't even need to sit up with a sipper type bottle. I wake several times a night to sip, and fall right back to sleep. (07/12/2005)

By Siris

Dry Mouth Remedies

You might want to try Breathe Right Nasal Strips. They help me a great deal. I also use Oral Balance. It is a very annoying problem. Try the Breathe Right Strips. Good Luck. (07/12/2005)

By Pat5617

Dry Mouth Remedies

May I suggest a way I found out by accident. Following a bout of urinary tract infection, I was using sachets of URAL powder. To see what it tasted like I dipped my finger into it, and tasted some. This brought the saliva flowing, consequently I now take a sachet with me at all times. One sachet can last for up to a month. (10/11/2006)

By Stella (South Australia)

Dry Mouth Remedies

I can't help other then to tell you the content of the sachet, as posted on the box.
It is made up of: sodium bicarbonate 1.75g, tartaric acid 890mg, citric acid anhyd 720mg, and sodium citrate anhyd 630mg. They are an effervescent granules. I it is not unlike sherbet to the taste. Hope this helps.
(10/14/2006)

By Stella (South Australia)

Dry Mouth Remedies

I always have some dry mouth and a root canal this year. Yikes, $ $ $. Then my very first bladder infection. My mouth was double dry with the meds. I normally drink tons of water. Be careful adding sugar or diet drinks to your teeth all day. Also be careful with lemon juice, they all have lots of acid that works on teeth enamel. The Dentist recommended sugarless gum with xylitol. Trident Tropical Twist is a great flavor. It works so fast that I put a half of the tiny stick of gum in my mouth and it doesn't look so obnoxious as some gum chewers. (08/04/2007)

By Kathy

Health & Beauty AdviceMay 8, 2009
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Remedies for Canker Sores
Remedies for Canker Sores
🎄