Removing Lint and Washing Powder Residue on Laundry

How can I get lint off my clothes? Also, how do I get washing powder off them? They are all types of fabric, but mainly cotton or synthetic.

By Sarah from QLD

Lint usually means you need to sort your items when washing. Don't wash towels with clothes (especially synthetics) as the lint from the towels sticks to the clothes. To remove it, rewash the items separately and tumble dry. Fabric softener can help. It is hard to remove.

Detergent residue--your water isn't warm enough to dissolve the washing powder. Use warmer water, less detergent, do an additional rinse or try liquid detergent.

Same as above. Make sure your detergent is in the water, swish it a few minutes before adding clothes. Front loader and laundromat does not let you have that option, then you need to bump your water temp up. Or dissolve your detergent in some hot water before putting it into the washer with the clothing. Sorting laundry will eliminate many problems. Esp when not having to iron no iron clothing. Too much laundry shoved into washer will get your wrinkles, lint and left over soaps. May need to change your brand as well. Cheaper is not cheap when it causes problems.

Another hint is to buy about a yard of nylon netting. I put that in my washer with the clothes as they wash. Somehow it helps reduce the lint. I'm pretty sure I found this on TF! I have also put it in the dryer. I just use it over and over till it gets so limp I have to buy another yard. It costs practically nothing.

lint roller
Removing Lint from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenJune 1, 2010
laundry basket of clean clothing
Preventing Lint on Clothing
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
Sweaters
Removing Lint from Sweaters
🎄