Instant Mashed Potatoes As A Thickener

How much instant potato flakes do I add to 1 cup liquid when making brown gravy?

By Cyndi from Anderson, MO

Depends on how thick you want it. Add just a little bit then stir it in and wait a little to see how much it thickens. It might be the right consistency or you might have to add a little bit more. I never measure things like that. I do know it takes a little while for things like that to thicken after adding the instant potatos.

I'm sure Redhatterb thought she was helping, but really. Is a "little bit" a pinch, or a tablespoon or a cup or what?

Here's my answer. Start with 1 tablespoon full. Then cook the gravy for a bit as it usually thickens as it cooks. If it's not thick enough then add no more than 1 teaspoonful at a time, cooking for a few minutes (2-4 minutes) between each addition till it gets to the consistency you want. Don't try to add too much mashed potatoes at a time or you'll end up with a solid mass, spelled mess! LOL

I've never used potato flakes but when using flour it's usually been about one tablespoon per one cup of fluid. As already mentioned start with a little and just keep adding a little more at a time until it's the consistency you're hoping for. It takes a bit of time for the gravy to cook and thicken so be patient. ;-)

April 17, 2011 Flag

When making deviled eggs, cream soups, even tuna or chicken salad; do you ever find that it is too runny or thin? Try adding dry instant mashed potato flakes. Add a little bit at a time, and let it sit a few minutes, as it will thicken up. Add as much as you need until you achieve the desired results. It actually seems to improve the flavor, too! This has saved me many times, especially with deviled eggs and tuna salad. Instead of having to make more roux or adding flour to your soup, this is just so much easier and quicker, and lump free. Experiment a little, you will be amazed at what you can do to salvage your cooking oops.

By Lori from Elgin, IL

Instant Mashed Potatoes As A Thickener

I have used instant potatoes as a thickener in gravy, stew, etc. for many years. Having learned how to cook from my mother, who was an excellent cook, I never could get these sauces to thicken properly (without lumps), using corn starch or flour, so I decided instant potatoes were the way to go. (06/30/2009)

By redhatterb

Homemade Gravy
Thickening Homemade Gravy
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsApril 17, 2011
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes