Finding Usable Furniture

One way to save money on furniture and such, is to go dumpster shopping. It's not as bad as it sounds. In spring, many university students are moving out of their apartments and often don't wish to take furniture with them as they are often moving away. These people will often leave good, gently used items near the dumpster instead of bothering taking them to a thrift store.

Smaller towns will often encourage a spring and/or fall clean-up time lasting from a few days to a week or more. Often people will place on the curb perfectly good items that may only need a good cleaning or a new coat of paint. If one is a bit talented and has access to the proper tools, some items need a bit of fixing. I know people who put perfectly good items (that they no longer need) on the curb during town clean-up knowing and hoping that someone will pick it up.

By Marlene from Altona, Canada

I had a similar situation in an apartment complex I lived in - I found that at the end of the month when people were moving out there was a lot of good usable stuff in the trash - I found a sewing machine table for a friend! And there was routinely lots of patio furniture and the like - we furnished our own patio with discards.

I LOVE DUMPSTER DIVING. I HAVE FOUND SO MANY GREAT THINGS

YOUR JUNK IS NOW MY TREASURE

Just be careful when you are dumpster diving for furniture or computers. Wood furniture is fine and some other items but I would be wary of taking sofas, chairs and other upholstered things and computers because cockroaches and things could be in them. My husband brought home a found computer only to find out a week later that it had roaches in it. It cost almost as much for the Orkin man than it would have for a new computer!! So please be careful. Otherwise, dive away! It saves stuff from landfills.

My dh and I dumpster dive every week, we live behind a "bargain barn" and they throw out alot of good, usable things. Some still in pkg. We have found hinges and doorstops for brother in law working on his house, and numerous other things for us, just got a really neat shelf for books, cool design. Just be careful where u go to get things off curb, some towns dont allow this.

I always thought that "garbage" put out on the curb was up for grabs. I don't know why people throw away perfectly good stuff when someone else could use it. They could give it to the Good Will if they don't want it.

I see garbage picking or dumpster diving as a form of recycling. More people should do it. Every little bit helps!

Tee hee....talk about timing.....we did that this afternoon...got a bookcase, hair dryers, ping pong table complete with paddles, etc., a weight bench, speakers for pc (but think asking s-i-l to fix it for tv) and other small items.....luv free stuff.....

Really nice to read so many posting and find that others are able to use 'others' furniture or that you are finding someone else that needs that furniture. You are all helping out. This is really fantastic!

DUMPSTER DIVING ROCKS!!! BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS, I LEARNED IT FROM MY MOM!! GOD REST HER SOUL, SOME OF MY KIDS LIKE TO DO IT TOO, MAMA WOULD BE PROUD!! I'VE JUST BEEN ITCHING TO GO TO ONE OF OUR UNIVERSITIES AND DIVE BUT THEY SAY NOW, IF ONE OF THE SECURITY GUYS CATCH YOU, THEY CALL THE POLICE! IF YOU ASK ME, I THINK THEY AND THE MAINTENANCE ARE BEING STINGY COS THEY WANT IT ALL!! AND THEY GET IT TOO, I MET ONE OF THE MAINTENANCE LADIES FROM ONE OF OUR COLLEGES HERE AND SHE FOUND EXPENSIVE BRAND NAME CLOTHES, JEANS AND SUCH FOR HER DAUGHTER THAT STILL HAD THE TAGS ON THEM. MADE ME ITCH EVEN WORSE!! OH WELL, HAPPY DUMPSTER DIVING FROM TEXAS!!!

Closeup of drawer pull.
Saving Money On Furniture
Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 2, 2006
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Old Rusty Sheath Knife
Removing Rust from Knives
🎉
🎄