AppliancesCleaning

Month Old Refrigerator With Stench

My mom has this fridge. Long story short, we got it less than a month ago and it has this real bad stench now that's coming from it. When I went to take a look at it, there was water at the bottom of the back of the fridge. What's causing that odor, and what can I do to stop it?

Shanda G from Detroit, Michigan

Not sure where you saw water...maybe a drip pan? If there is a puddle of water in a pan under the frig that should be able to be removed, emptyed, cleaned and replaced. That may be where the smell is coming from. You can use several containers of soda inside the frig to help with odors or wash everythng inside (shelves, sides, bottom) with vinegar. This should help.

I agree with the first reply except if you continue to have the problem, try putting some fresh coffee grounds in the refrigerator. I was given this by my professional furniture moving brother. I've been using it for decades now.

As to where the water came from, though I don't know where the smell is coming from, I was wondering if perhaps something was disrupted if you moved it? If you don't find the cause, check with a good appliance repairperson...in this case, the thrifty thing to do might be to have a professional look at it so you can use of for years in the future.

We brought an old frigerator one time I cleaned it real well then put fresh coffee grinds in 2 clean butter tubs and the smell went away after a few days. Hope this helps

Call the manufacturer. Being that it isn't that old, it should be under warranty.

coffee grounds

Put a bowl of vinegar in it, problem solved.