Substitutes for Egg in Meatloaf

I need a substitute for eggs when baking a meat loaf.

By Carla from Huntington, WV

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

A couple of heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise will work.

Thanks, it sounds great! I will try that. Can you taste the mayo?

Carla

It must be a regional thing, I've never heard of putting egg in meatloaf. I've certainly never done it and my meatloaf always turns out fine.

Regular mayo has eggs in it. If you are really trying to stay away from eggs. Hellman's low fat has egg whites in it. I use a product called All Whites, which is just that all egg whites. I know it costs more than eggs, but it's so convenient and it tastes good. Since one poster said that she never adds eggs, I'll try that next time. :)

for Thursday_Next adding egg to meat load is not a regional thing! to prove this do a simple quick search you will find a multitude of recipes for meat loaf that always calls for eggs! Perhaps the best source for this is food network that includes recipes from world renown chefs. Here you can look up meat loaf and see how many recipes call for eggs and how many do not!

My mother and I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, about as far from West Virginia as you can get in the US. My mom taught me to put an egg in my meatloaf, it is one of the first "recipes" she taught me. I have never made it without :) Let us know how the mayo works out.

There are also some good ideas in the archived feedback. One calls for tomato paste, which might work as a binder.

Good luck!

The mayo and the tomato paste both sound great as well as the egg substitute. Thanks for the suggestions, Carla

I use bread crumbs instead of eggs, and it works great.

Answer

If you are on a diet to lower your cholesterol or want to limit the use of eggs for other reasons, you can omit the egg when you make meatloaf. Substitute 1/4 cup tomato sauce, beef broth, or even applesauce for the egg in your recipe. I made meatloaf last week using ground turkey and extra-lean, ground beef mixed half and half. I used tomato sauce in place of the egg.

It not only tasted delicious, but the tomato sauce made the ground turkey look reddish like beef. Ground turkey is not only cheaper than ground beef, it is better for your health.

Warm wishes for good health always.

Source: Joanna Lund in her cookbooks.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
empty egg carton
Substitution For Eggs in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 5, 2009
Meatloaf
Stretching Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf Recipes
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 5:35:04 PM on 10.0.1.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.