Substitutes for Egg in Meatloaf

I need a substitute for eggs when baking a meat loaf.

By Carla from Huntington, WV

Best Answer

A couple of heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise will work.

Best Answer

I use bread crumbs instead of eggs, and it works great.

It must be a regional thing, I've never heard of putting egg in meatloaf. I've certainly never done it and my meatloaf always turns out fine.

Regular mayo has eggs in it. If you are really trying to stay away from eggs. Hellman's low fat has egg whites in it. I use a product called All Whites, which is just that all egg whites. I know it costs more than eggs, but it's so convenient and it tastes good. Since one poster said that she never adds eggs, I'll try that next time. :)

My mother and I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, about as far from West Virginia as you can get in the US. My mom taught me to put an egg in my meatloaf, it is one of the first "recipes" she taught me. I have never made it without :) Let us know how the mayo works out.

There are also some good ideas in the archived feedback. One calls for tomato paste, which might work as a binder.

Good luck!

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 5, 2009
Stretching Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf Recipes
Meatloaf with several slices ready to be served
Substitution for Eggs in Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes