Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Substitutes for Egg in Meatloaf

I need a substitute for eggs when baking a meat loaf.

By Carla from Huntington, WV

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Ivette Farah [1]11/12/2009

I use bread crumbs instead of eggs, and it works great.

By carla [25]11/08/2009

The mayo and the tomato paste both sound great as well as the egg substitute. Thanks for the suggestions, Carla

By Jess [108]11/08/2009

My mother and I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, about as far from West Virginia as you can get in the US. My mom taught me to put an egg in my meatloaf, it is one of the first "recipes" she taught me. I have never made it without :) Let us know how the mayo works out.

There are also some good ideas in the archived feedback. One calls for tomato paste, which might work as a binder.
Good luck!

By carla [25]11/08/2009

for Thursday_Next adding egg to meat load is not a regional thing! to prove this do a simple quick search you will find a multitude of recipes for meat loaf that always calls for eggs! Perhaps the best source for this is food network that includes recipes from world renown chefs. Here you can look up meat loaf and see how many recipes call for eggs and how many do not!

By Heather Krucker [10]11/07/2009

Regular mayo has eggs in it. If you are really trying to stay away from eggs. Hellman's low fat has egg whites in it. I use a product called All Whites, which is just that all egg whites. I know it costs more than eggs, but it's so convenient and it tastes good. Since one poster said that she never adds eggs, I'll try that next time. :)

By Anna [16]11/06/2009

It must be a regional thing, I've never heard of putting egg in meatloaf. I've certainly never done it and my meatloaf always turns out fine.

By carla [25]11/06/2009

Thanks, it sounds great! I will try that. Can you taste the mayo?

Carla

By Jeanette [4]11/05/2009

A couple of heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise will work.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Substitutes For Egg In Meatloaf

If you are on a diet to lower your cholesterol or want to limit the use of eggs for other reasons, you can omit the egg when you make meatloaf. Substitute 1/4 cup tomato sauce, beef broth, or even applesauce for the egg in your recipe. I made meatloaf last week using ground turkey and extra-lean, ground beef mixed half and half. I used tomato sauce in place of the egg.

It not only tasted delicious, but the tomato sauce made the ground turkey look reddish like beef. Ground turkey is not only cheaper than ground beef, it is better for your health.

Warm wishes for good health always.

Source: Joanna Lund in her cookbooks.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA