Substitutes for Egg in Meatloaf

By carla 25 42

I need a substitute for eggs when baking a meat loaf.

By Carla from Huntington, WV

Filter Sort

By Jeanette 6 28 Flag

A couple of heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise will work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carla 25 42 Flag

Thanks, it sounds great! I will try that. Can you taste the mayo?

Carla

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anna 17 62 Flag

It must be a regional thing, I've never heard of putting egg in meatloaf. I've certainly never done it and my meatloaf always turns out fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather Krucker 10 282 Flag

Regular mayo has eggs in it. If you are really trying to stay away from eggs. Hellman's low fat has egg whites in it. I use a product called All Whites, which is just that all egg whites. I know it costs more than eggs, but it's so convenient and it tastes good. Since one poster said that she never adds eggs, I'll try that next time. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carla 25 42 Flag

for Thursday_Next adding egg to meat load is not a regional thing! to prove this do a simple quick search you will find a multitude of recipes for meat loaf that always calls for eggs! Perhaps the best source for this is food network that includes recipes from world renown chefs. Here you can look up meat loaf and see how many recipes call for eggs and how many do not!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jess 132 773 Flag

My mother and I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, about as far from West Virginia as you can get in the US. My mom taught me to put an egg in my meatloaf, it is one of the first "recipes" she taught me. I have never made it without :) Let us know how the mayo works out.

There are also some good ideas in the archived feedback. One calls for tomato paste, which might work as a binder.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carla 25 42 Flag

The mayo and the tomato paste both sound great as well as the egg substitute. Thanks for the suggestions, Carla

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Ivette Farah 1 20 Flag

I use bread crumbs instead of eggs, and it works great.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Substitutes For Egg In Meatloaf

If you are on a diet to lower your cholesterol or want to limit the use of eggs for other reasons, you can omit the egg when you make meatloaf. Substitute 1/4 cup tomato sauce, beef broth, or even applesauce for the egg in your recipe. I made meatloaf last week using ground turkey and extra-lean, ground beef mixed half and half. I used tomato sauce in place of the egg.

It not only tasted delicious, but the tomato sauce made the ground turkey look reddish like beef. Ground turkey is not only cheaper than ground beef, it is better for your health.

Warm wishes for good health always.

Source: Joanna Lund in her cookbooks.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Feedback:

empty egg carton
Substitution For Eggs in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 5, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
empty egg carton
Substitution For Eggs in Recipes
push pins on a bulletin board
Substitutes for Push Pins
Meatloaf
Stretching Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 1:33:25 AM on 10.0.0.209 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings