Crafts Using Cloth Napkins

I recently acquired several cloth napkins, does anyone have any craft ideas to use these? I have white and many colorful ones. Too many to use for meals.

Keekee from Jackson, TN

Best Answer

For parent Christmas gifts I had my students make bread coverlets out of white or beige cloth napkins. Using red fabric paint I had them put their hand print in one corner (palm toward the corner and fingers toward the center), and in the opposite corner, with a fine-tipped green fabric marker, I wrote the child's name and the year.

If the napkins are new, having them monogrammed for a gift would be personal, stylish and sophisticated.

Also, I use colorful cloth napkins to line baskets of goodies that I am giving as gifts.

Best Answer

Not crafty, but I buy cotton and linen table napkins at Goodwill and use them in the kitchen for hand towels and cleaning. (The polyester ones don't work well at absorbing water.) Much more economical than using paper towels since you just toss them in the wash when they are soiled.

On a crafty note, you could use interesting print napkins as fabric in small sewing projects like wallets,or piece and quilt them into placemats.

There are some great ideas. a few that I can think of are making sofa throw pillows.The fabric is already cut and hemmed, so you don.t have to worry about rough edges or the fabric fraying.You can hand sew or machinge sew, all three sides and then use either stuffing or a preformed pillow form, then you can sew up the last side, by hand stictching it shut.There are some sewing places on the internet that teach you stitches and some basic sewing tricks.If the pillow is too plain you could add fringe, or trims.Right now is a really fun time to find trimmings, even a little bit of sequins, or beading, or fabric paint.Even if you don't feel like you know how to paint, you can use the end of a pencil or paint brush and make polka dots, or swirls. if you live near a walmart, they have all kinds of bead trims.Another idea is to use the napkins on the diagonal like a valance, for the top part of curtains.You could use velcro for the connector, also as a closure for the pillow idea.You can make a bag or purse, like you would the pillow, leaving the opening for the top of the bag, and can use trimming that is sold by the yard for the strap.Even if you feel that the look is too casual, you can still use a bag like this to store lingerie, panty hose, craft projects etc.I don't know what colors you have but if you know how to dye fabric, that is one idea.Hope that you have fun, whatever you decide to do.One other idea is to make a little bag that hangs down by your mattress side, part of it fits under the mattress, and the other is like a pocket to store extra kleenex, glasses, a samll flashlight, a small book.These are really fun for kids too.Makes them feel more like they have something extra for the nights they turn their bed into a fort.Wish I could illustrate all of these things for you.Kersti of Bellevue

If you know any little boys, they make great parachutes for little action figures.

Sounds like a great start to a quilt to me! People can use regular old quilts just the same as great new ones. I would make a quilt out of them and not worry if it gets on the floor, etc. as they can be washed easily. I am attempting to find/buy pretty handkerchiefs, crocheted edges, or tatted edges to be mounted on plain white squares and then made into a quilt. Just a thought.

I had a old friend that use to make quilts, pillow covers and even scarfs for your tables. I have placed them in the center of a covered table or plain one then just added flowers or a dish with candy or fruit.

Use them to make dolls clothes. I recently made a jacket for a dora doll; skirts and pants for dolls.

Folded blue cloth napkin on white background
Crafts Using Cloth Napkins
Crafts Recycled CraftsApril 17, 2006
Fabric Napkin
Making Fabric Placemats and Napkins
Stack of napkins.
Saving Money on Napkins
Cloth Napkin
Using Cloth Instead of Paper Products
Linen Napkins and Silverware
Cleaning Linen Napkins
🎉
🎄