Removing Cat Hair Embedded in Couch

How do I remove cat hair that is deeply embedded throughout a couch, in the seams & everywhere. The couch is high grade aniline Leather. I bought the set at a garage sale. It had been stored/uncovered in a barn for a year. It looks great, but there is cat hair everywhere and my vacuum isn't getting it all. It's really sticking to the cloth sections that connect the seat and back cushions together (cushions are NOT removable). Help! I can't bear to bring it into the house unless it's hairless & odorless too!

Cristy from Molalla, OR

Use a clean, stiff-bristled scrub brush. Scrub awhile, pull the hair off the brush, and continue.

I've found this works much better and faster than any vacuum.

Try masking tape or a lint roller. The hair sticks to the tape, and won't harm the leather.

Use rubber gloves in conjunction with the vacuum. Put on the rubber glove. Wipe with your hand. The hair will roll in clumps. Vacuum.

Try taking a soft hair brush, (the old-fashioned kind with the bristles close together & fairly soft work best) And simply "Brush" your couch, seams & all... This should work. I also use a 6 inch "Scrub brush" (the type used for household chores) with sturdy/stiff bristles from the dollar store to "brush" up cat hair from my furniture. A brush will get into groves & smaller places where tape wont. Clean the brush often (with a comb) while you are doing this or the cat hair will go right back onto the couch. Finish with duct tape or contact paper when you are done "brushing" your couch.

You can also try one of those hand held small contraptions with rollers that roll together that remind you of the old stand up "Bissell sweepers"... but they only work on the high spots, for the small groves, you'll need a small child's hair brush or a toothbrush for the REALLY small areas. Be sure any brush you use is soft enough so as to not scratch the leather.

I use a rubber sponge made specifically for this purpose. They are available in the pet supply section at most grocery stores (I got mine at Meijer), and at Pet stores. It looks sort of like a brick, but is made of dense rubber material. You just rub it across the area and it rolls up all the pet hair so that you can pick it up and throw it away. Works great on decorative rugs and furniture.

Thanks so much for the wonderful response from everyone. I am trying them all! I really like the "toothbrush" tip. since the cushions do not remove, this will be the easiest to get down between the cushion and the arm of the couch. I also bought one of those rubber brushes. I haven't been back out to finish the job yet because of kids (5 of them) and school volunteer stuff. plan on getting back to it today sometime. Thanks a bunch everyone!

I use a rubber sponge made specifically for this purpose too. I have 4 cats and use rubber dish washing gloves to clean my sofa and chairs. The hair rolls up fairly well and I just keep rubbing till its all off. Good Luck!

One word: duct tape. Cut strips of duct tape and lay the sticky side down on the material, pushing the page gently with your fingers. Pull off and voila! On to the next strip...This works great when company is coming.

I use an atachment that fits onto a vacuum cleaner pipe. Its called "Seathog" does the job fine.

Hope this helps!