Cat Poops in Bathtub

My 2 year old cat has been pooping in the bathtub for a year. I have used ammonia, vinegar, and orange scent to clean in the bathtub. All the products prevented her habits in the bathtub briefly. She used her litterbox for a week or 2, but the poo poo continues.

She's been checked at the vet, her litter box is kept clean, and I've tried different litters. It stains my tub, and I use a bleach solution to remove it, but then it continues. Any solutions or suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

Try putting the litter box in the bath tub. Maybe she will get the idea?

Yes, start with the litter box in the tub and then if she uses it there, wait a few days and move it to right beside the tub. After a few more days move it a few more feet away and continue this until the box is where you want it. Also just be glad she isn't pooping in the center of your bed. That's what my cat did and the moving the box thing cured her of it. Hope this helps :)

I keep the litter box in the bathtub as I have a very old cat and she frequently misses. Rather than have it on the floor (yes, I tried putting a rug and then newspapers underneath it, neither of which worked), I find it easier to clean the tub than the floor.

Hi Brossi!

I've always owned cats and I know they don't like aluminum foil. It may be a pain but perhaps if you kept a strip of it in the shower your kitty will find it unpleasant enough to go back to her box. You may need to remove it and replace it each time someone showers but it might be worth it.

Hope that helps.

I had a similar problem with a cat we rescued a year ago. He pooped on area rugs, laundry in laundry baskets and many other "soft" places. He had been declawed before we got him. I later read that declawed cats don't like litter. I read on the internet to put the kind of litter used by hamsters in the litter box. That worked for us.

Just keep the bathroom door closed.

There is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. A cat will not potty where this pheremone has been sprayed (90% of the time). It is a fine mist that should not make your tub slippery. It worked perfectly for me when my cat had a bladder infection and abandoned the litter box. It is available most everywhere, but cheapest on the internet.

One of my cats did this too. You need to think like your cat to figure out why. I had four over-sized litter boxes in the basement, scooped clean every morning. They did not have too much litter (cats don't like to sink up to their ankles in litter, they just want enough to make a little hole and to cover up after), it wasn't scented, he would use it some of the time.

It was always before meal time that he did this. Although a kitten, he was the Alpha cat of the group. Eating was very important to him - he ate first and last. I finally figured out that he was "worried" about missing his meal if he went to the basement to use the litter box. I began feeding them in the basement. He stopped using the tub. Eventually I was able to resume feeding them in the kitchen.

My point is, think like your cat. Put together all the pieces, what else is happening when she does this, the timing, anything at all could be a clue. Good luck!

Try newspaper in the litter box. Some cats will refuse to use a litter box with cat litter in it. Also keep something strong smelling in the bathtub like orange peels so your cat will avoid it.

A cat sitting in a bathtub.
Cat Pooping in Bathtub
Pets CatsJune 1, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub