Mark Emptied Cabinets When Moving

We are in the process of moving and I came up with this nifty idea. I put a strip of masking tape across each cabinet door and drawer in the kitchen (and bathrooms) as I empty and clean it to save time later. That way nothing can be put back in there and I won't have to double check it on last day of moving. I'm also doing this on doors to closets.

By darlenedawn from Brownsburg, IN

Brilliant idea! Thanks so much for telling us about it and sharing your genius! :)

Now, why didn't I ever think of this, as many times as I've moved? If I ever move again, I plan to do it your way. thanks.

btw, I lived in Brownsburg in 1976, on Grant street. I loved it, best town I ever lived in.

You're braver than I, if you won't go back and double-check each one! But at least you can do so in reasonable confidence that you won't get any nasty surprises, like half a carton's worth of things to find room for in some box from another room while the van is being loaded. lol

Here's my tip, after having movers stack my boxes five high, all with labels to the wall, and my everyday cookware on the bottom under the fine china and the boxes of books: I made labels on my computer, using 2"x2.5" labels, a set of five for each carton (they come in sheets of 5 rows, 3 labels per row), and put them on each side and on the top. I used simple labels in large print, like "LR 1" or "Bath 2," and kept a list on the computer of what was in each box - either detailed, in the case of critical items (computer components, crockpot), or general (gardening books, everyday dishes, canning equipment). As we started a box, I slapped the five stickers on it, and as we put things in, I updated the list. Saved a lot of hunting in the new place, except for things that were thrown in at the last minute, after the computer was packed.

Gee, I wondered what the deal was about Mark emptying the cabinets when moving! lol!

moving tips and tricks
Moving Tips and Tricks
Organizing MovingMay 27, 2010
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets