Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast

Roasting a turkey breast so that it is moist and tasty can be tricky. This is a guide about cooking a perfect turkey breast.

March 9, 2012 Flag

I use a cooking bag and always put the breast meat side down in the pan, so all the juice stays in the meat

By cleanupmom55 from Franklin, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2005 Flag

Do you have any tips for cooking the perfect (and NOT dry) turkey breast? My son complains every year that my turkey is always so dry. Because it is just the three of us, I usually only cook a small turkey breast. HELP me cook that perfect Thanksgiving turkey this year! :) Thanks in advance!
Sue A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not put bacon on turkey. The turkey will taste like bacon yuck! Just put foil over it and take it off for the last twenty minutes. No bacon.

Can someone tell me how long and at what temperature to cook the perfect turkey breast rather than a whole turkey?

I usually cook the turkey on a very low temp and use chicken broth as the base. I also mix in turkey gravy as it is cooking:)

Just curious, if you cook your turkey breast in your crock pot, does it brown? Any help is appreciated!

You will not believe this, but the very best turkey breasts I have ever cooked are frozen. Unwrap the frozen breast, and place frozen into a large crock pot (At the store look for a breast that is sort of flat vs. tall). Add about a cup of water and a little turkey gravy mix if you like, I do. Cover the crock pot tightly. Cook overnight on low. You will not believe the brown, moist, awesome turkey you have the next day! And the oven is free for casseroles, rolls, etc. Oh, and if there is a bag of giblets stuffed up the turkey's butt, no problem. Leave it there. It will come out neatly as it cooks. Seriously, try this. If you are scared to do it for holiday, do it midweek for a real treat.

Here is one I haven't read. Place a turkey breast in a crock pot. Add one can of jellied cranberry sauce, 1 cup of orange juice. (Season the turkey with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme if you like). Cook on low heat for 8 hrs or high for 5 hrs. Don't lift the lid, there is no need to. It will come out very moist. Try it.

I was given this recipe and my turkey breast is really moist and picture perfect each year.

Salt and pepper thawed turkey breast

2 whole potatoes

2 stalks of celery

1 medium to large onion

Place potatoes and celery on both sides of the turkey breast in the pan. I usually place the onion toward the neck part of the turkey breast.

Sprinkle Poultry Season on the turkey breast, celery, potatoes and onion. I use a lot but you can adjust how much you want to use.

Cook @ 325 for the alloted time per weight of the breast. Only baste 2 times. Take foil off the top last 30 mins.

Sprinkle Poultry Season on turkey breast, potatoes, celery, and onion.

The best way is to brine the turkey over night, the day before you cook it, and cook until the white meat is around 165 degrees. The brine makes a perfect flavor and the cooking temp. allows the bird to stand for a while and reach 170 on it's own. The reason turkey is SO dry is because most people over cook the meat. For a great brine, and how to do this, just look up Alton Brown's ideas on google.com. He's amaznig.

This page is most helpful. I love turkey breast and always try different ways to prepare it. Thanks for all your help.

I have used the methold with a can of cranberry sauce and some orange juice and other seasonings and we like that real well. At other times I lift the skin of the breast and rub Cajun seasoning into the breast. This is our favorite and the more seasoning we rub in the better we like it. Both of these are done in the crockpot. I also add some water or chicken broth. I will have to try doing this when the breast is still frozen. My turkey breasts in the crock pot never get browned, but they are also well done that the meat falls off the bones when we take it out.

November 20, 2014 Flag

Can you cook a 10 lb turkey breast (bone out) in a turkey bag in an Oster turkey roaster or do you have to take it out of the bag it came in?

By Joe T from West hester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatFebruary 28, 2012
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 1:07:41 PM on 10.0.1.14 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.