Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast

Category Meat
making a turkey breast
Roasting a turkey breast so that it is moist and tasty can be tricky. This is a guide about cooking a perfect turkey breast.

I use a cooking bag and always put the breast meat side down in the pan, so all the juice stays in the meat

By cleanupmom55 from Franklin, PA

Do you have any tips for cooking the perfect (and NOT dry) turkey breast? My son complains every year that my turkey is always so dry. Because it is just the three of us, I usually only cook a small turkey breast. HELP me cook that perfect Thanksgiving turkey this year! :) Thanks in advance!

Sue A.

The key is to brine your turkey first. Here is a recipe I have used in the past. It makes the turkey very moist and tasty:

Turkey Brine

2 gallons water

1 1/2 cups canning salt

3 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

In a large bucket or container large enough to hold your turkey, mix together the water, salt, garlic, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Store in a refrigerator, and soak turkey for 1 day before smoking or roasting.

We use an injectable marinade, you can find different types down the aisle where they sell salad dressing at the grocery store. Place the marinade in a small strainer over a bowl to strain out any chunks (which clog your injector), load your injector (found in the same aisle) and shoot up that bird! Makes for a great moist turkey breast.

What I do is....I use a crock pot......I use water and white wine and use garlic salt to season.....Let the crock pot do the cooking.......have a wonderful Thanksgiving...mvb

I agree w/ Marnita. Brining is the key. I know this from experience, as well as from frequent testimonials from cooks who I trust, and from Cooks Illustrated magazine (the magazine of America's Test Kitchen).

If you are only using a small turkey breast, you won't need the large quantities of brine that Marnita's recipe will make. Just mix salt and cold water in the ratio of 1/4 cup table salt (or 1/2 cup kosher salt) to 4 cups of cold water, and stir to dissolve. Add whatever other flavors you prefer. Soak the meat in the brining solution for 2 to 24 hours, depending on the size of the cut of meat. Pork chops would soak for 2-4 hours, while a 20 pound turkey would need 24 hours. If you need to soak the meat for a long time, put it in the refrigerator. Then remove the meat from the brining liquid, rinse it off in plain water, and cook it in whatever way you prefer. Just remember to reduce or omit the salt in your recipe, since the meat will already be seasoned enough with salt.

You can brine almost any type of meat (except fish), but you will be especially amazed at what a difference it makes to those cuts of meat that dry out easily, like turkey and chicken white meat, pork chops, and shrimp.

I can tell you this because this was a mistake that worked out for the good. But this is for a whole turkey, which even with a small family, you can freeze leftovers into smaller portions to be used later. Anyway cook the turkey upside down. The breast will be always in the liquid and will be very moist. We just wash our turkey and rub it down with butter and baste with sprite. Yeah the soda. Its very good.

I always use my crock pot when cooking a turkey breast. It comes out moist & tender EVERY time. I first make a blend of thyme, sage, garlic salt, pepper & Old Bay Seasoning. Mix these together, lift the skin of the turkey,& rub seasonings on the meat. On the bottom of your crock pot place 2 celery stalks, & 1 medium onion ,quartered, then place the turkey (skin side up) in the crock pot. Pour 1 can of chicken broth on & in the crock pot, set to high & let it do it's thing for 6-8 hours or until internal temp. gets to 195'. Trun off crock pot, remove turkey & let set on a platter for about 15 min. before carving & enjoying!

Cook it breast side down and towards the end of the cooking time turn it over to let the top brown. You may want to cook it with a tinfoil tent when the breast side is down. Good luck! Susan

I use oven bags. Just rinse your turkey, stuff if you must, salt and pepper inside and out. Add one tablespoon flour to the bag and shake to cover inside of bag, stuff turkey in, poke about six slits in top of bag, seal with provided tie and bake. Moist everytime and easy clean up too.

I have the absolute simplest recipe ever. I have always used a crockpot to cook mine (small family as well). Just put 1 1/2 to 2 sticks of butter in the bottom of your crockpot and then place your turkey breast on top. Cook on low for around 6 - 8 hours. Remember NOT to take the cover off your crockpot, because every time you do, you lose an hour. Everyone always raves over my turkey. Hope this helps and if you don't try it for Thanksgiving, please try it another time. you will not be dissapointed.

Rachel in TN

We use a large roasting bag. Punch a few holes in the top of the bag after you put every thing in it. We use turkey breast and wash pat dry. Use a can of cream of chicken soup. Then clean a carrot add it in three to four pieces then celery cleaned and chop like the carrot. Add a small onion clean and leave it whole. Close bag and put few holes in top of bag. Cook till done. This is so juicy and goooood. Mom has done this for years and we now have to do two turkey breast so use 2 cans of the chicken soup... as they want BBQ slaw with the turkey for sandwiches the rest of the week. Yum we have the best sold here at two of our resturants... Hope everyone has a great holiday season and share with us your dinners...

Tonya in NC

We always buy a butterball turkey.

Also put bacon over the exposed part.

Breast is always the top.

We also add extra water for more juice.

Cook on 350 for an hour, turn down to 225

and cook slowly all night.

I put mine in the oven about 11:00 pm.

Good Luck on your moist turkey.

This is it. If you are looking for a moist turkey, LOOK NO FURTHER!

I usually just cook a turkey breast for thanksgiving and my secret is the stone dome lid cooker that I use. This cooker is one that I bought at Parisian many years ago cuz I wouldn't pay the big $$$$ that Pampered Chef offered.

It is a round bottom pan with sides, much like a round cake pan adn it comes with a large round dome lid.

Season the turkey any way you like. Put it in the cooker, put the lid on, drop it in the oven and FORGET ABOUT IT!

Take the lid off the last 20-30 minutes to brown. YOU WILL NOT BELEIVE HOW WONDERFUL IT COOKS. It is moist every time!

Can you cook a 10 lb turkey breast (bone out) in a turkey bag in an Oster turkey roaster or do you have to take it out of the bag it came in?

By Joe T from West hester