Computer Monitor is Stuck at 800x600

Does anyone know how to set your graphics card so that your computer will recognize that it has higher graphics than 800x600? My computer is running Windows 98, but I should have Navida, Radeon, or ATI which should really boost my media. Thanks in advance.

By SouthernFrugalWoman from Lake City, FL

I am looking forward to this answer also as I have the same problem on a computer after re-installing Windows 98.

You need to know what make and model your graphics adapter is. If Windows Hardware Manager does not/cannot Identify it, then you will need to open the PC case up and have a look.

If your PC is a standard make and model (For example, IBM, Toshiba, and so on), you should be able to find the make & model of the graphics card from there. You might even find the driver as well. Then when you have the make and model of the card. Go to the manufacturers website and download the driver. There will be instructions how to install the driver given.

If you need further help, reply to this post, or send me a message through this website.

If you are still using Windows 98, I seriously recommend you either update to Windows XP (possibility expensive) or take the free, safer route and install Linux, for example Ubuntu, you will get every you need from Windows, plus more, for free.

Try the first basic thing. Right mouse click on the empty screen. Go to properties. Click 'Settings'. There are places to change your screen. If you have roving screens you are using, desk top animated, choose something 'still'. We have a variety of computers up and running, the youngest just moved from the 98, so a friend without a computer got that one. She is fine, not online, can play games, etc. And her setting are good. I love my XP which I had the choice of or Vista. Hate Vista on my laptop. Am waiting to up grade to the 7 when I get a chance to see how someone's is.

Computers TroubleshootingOctober 6, 2010
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
woman's hand cleaning a monitor
Safe Homemade Computer Screen Cleaner
CD or DVD in a computer drive.
Removing a CD or DVD Stuck in a Computer