Alternative to Soaker Hoses

I've been using soaker hoses for many years and they worked great. Recently I've started new beds and found the hoses to be very frustrating to use, they either won't work or sprout "geysers" which I have to repair, and the parts are getting expensive. Has anyone found a better alternative to soaker hoses? I've heard of using PVC piping and making small holes. I vegetable garden in a very drought prone area and need a reliable system when I am not home to fix the leaks. I use timers for everything already. The old soaker hoses still work great but the new ones must be made so cheaply and always notice they are made in China.

Viki from Abbeville, AL

Best Answer

Use a drip system. The different drippers for each plant. They can be used with a timer, also.

Best Answer

I also have a soaker hose with a lot of geyesers. To keep the water headed down into the ground instead of up, I took small coke or soft drink bottles (the single serving size) and washed them out, then cut them in half to make a "tunnel" - I made "stakes" out of half opened paper clips, and clipped them over the geyesers -so the water hit the inside of the bottle, and then ran down into the ground. You can also deflect the water back down by half burying the hose under mulch or soil.

Best Answer

I have successfully and happily used PVC piping with holes drilled into it at various spacing to grow all my organic fruit and vegetables. I use raised beds with the PVC connected in two rows down the middle of each bed. I have a main line of PVC connecting to the smaller rows, and shut off/on valves at each row to allow watering as needed. I live on property with well water, so there is always the need to conserve. All my plants are started from heirloom or organic seeds. I cover each bed heavily with organic compost which further aids the water conserving. Make sure you plant close to the pipes, and near your drilled holes. I'll happily give you more details if you like.

I don't really have a solution to your problem, but you might find the older type soaker hoses which were made in the USA in roadside garbage. You can find many a treasure for free during garbage pickup day.

David, What I'm looking for is a solution for seed beds like carrots, beets , onions, garlic etc. I already use a drip system for individual plants.

Marge, I would look for old hoses but I live in the back 40 about 25 miles from town, good idea though.