Saving Money on Household Expenses

This is not a specific question, we are a one income family, we have 10 (yes ten) children, and I am a stay at home mom. I would love to hear any and all ideas, advice, etc. about things we can do to save money. I try to be thrifty, but with a houseful sometimes it is hard to research and find real ways that truly work. I would love suggestions about laundry and other cleaning products. All other suggestions are welcome also.

Thank you in advance.

By mommiof10 from LA

First off, welcome to thrifty fun. You've come to the right site to find many things on saving money,recycling almost anything,fabulous recipes,crafts etc. With your hectic household I hope you find the time to visit here often.You must have a lot to share with us.

I've been on here some six years,raised only 2 kids and have 5 grand kids.I'm still learning new things on here.

Keeper

With laundry, I wonder if you have a clothesline? You can save a lot of money using the dryer less. If you don't like the way some things feel after you hang them dry, you can "fluff" them in the dryer for a few minutes, and still save energy.

If you're not using a crock pot for cooking, it's time! You can cook the lean, less tender, less expensive cuts of meat easily, with minimal electricity and fuss. Recipes are all over the internet. In the warmer weather, small appliances (crock pot, toaster oven, electric griddle, etc.) can be taken outside, under cover if the weather looks like rain, and you can heat your house up less, saving on air conditioning.

Thermostat: 68 in the winter, 78 in the summer. In summer, you can supplement with fans, if necessary.

Here in PA, the pediatricians are starting to revolt against "juice". They would much rather see children drinking water throughout the day. While there are some nutrients in juice, it is basically just fruit-based sugar-water; so you don't have to feel badly limiting your children if they eat a balanced diet. And if they drink soda, you can limit that, too.

Look at the use of disposable products around your home, paper goods, and such. How can you cut back? Sometimes it is not worth it, but sometimes we (and our kids) get over-dependent on things--like paper towel, paper plates, etc. A small dishpan with clean, soapy water can be kept in the sink with a kitchen sponge in it for quick clean ups.

I think you will find lots of ideas on this bulletin board. It's a great springboard.

Also, if you can, try to record every cent you spend for a month. (You can employ one of your kids to help you do this.) Look at where the money is going and look at what is necessity vs. non-necessity. It might open your eyes. (And you cannot necessarily go by what others see as important.) At our home, we do not have cable TV, but we do have internet. We don't belong to a pool, but a friend with many children does--for her it is important, and ends up saving them money on other entertainments, etc. But only you can scrutinize your own spending!

Welcome to Thrifty Fun - you'll find gobs and gobs of great hints and ideas! You can also access, when you have some extra time!, past posts that have relevant information. When it comes time for gift giving, be sure to look at some fabulous and frugal hand-made treasures. Good luck and God Bless as you raise your wonderful family!

Thanks to all of you for your response. I hope yall are right and I find a lot of useful tips here. Yes I am in the process of putting up a clothes line, I have wanted one for years, I know it will definitely help. I will be visiting here every chanceI get, which is usually at 5am every morning before the children are up and moving, or after 9pm, which is after they are asleep. I look forward to many more tips to try. I would love a good recipe for liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener. Home made cleaning products would be nice too. It sems that we spend more on household cleaning products and personal care items than we do on food. I think ( and hope ) that simpler is better. Any ideas would be great.

I found this recipe at a local farm store for laundry detergent. I have used it a few times. 1/3 bar Fels Naptha laundry bar soap (grated)

1/2 c Borax laundry booster

1/2 c washing soda

2 gallon bucket

Grate 1/3 Fels Naptha bar soap and put in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups of water and heat until soap melts. Add washing soda and borax. Stir til dissolved. Pour 4 cups hot water into 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture. Add 1 gallon and 6 cups of water and stir. Let stand for 24 hours and soap will semi gel. Use 1/2 cup to each load.

I added extra because I have a large family and large capacity washer. You can judge how much you want to use.

If you have time, coupons also help us with our growing family. You can find lots of them on the internet and in the Sunday paper maybe more often depending on where you live.

God bless you and your family!

Couple Working on Household Expenses
Saving Money on Household Expenses
Budget & Finance AdviceJuly 21, 2011
Printer ink color cartridges.
Saving Money on Toner & Inkjet Cartridges
Energy Saving Tips
Energy Saving Tips
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎉
🎄