Cleaning a Diamond and Pearl Ring

Does anyone know how to clean a pearl and diamond ring? I know how to clean diamonds, but I don't know how to clean the pearl. I seem to have gotten something on it that feels a bit sticky. I just got the little beauty for Valentine's Day. Help!

Jana from NC

Best Answer

Pearls are soft, so you won't want anything abrasive. A drop of dish soap in water will do the trick. Be careful of jewelry cleaners; they may be too strong for the pearl and the setting too if it's not gold.

White toothpaste on a toothbrush is how I clean mine. Not the gel kind of toothpaste though. It doesn't make them shine like the white paste does.

Yikes!!!! Don't use anything stronger than mild soap and water on your pearls. Anything abrasive, like toothpaste, will take the luster off of them and you will not get the shine back. Clean the diamond with mild soap and water also. Ask a reputable jeweler if you need any stronger cleaning. A jeweler can recommend the right cleaner for each stone.

This works for ANY type of jewelry, stone, setting, diamonds, pearls

Plated,Filled, whether its Silver or Gold or....ect. YES I agree with everyone NEVER USE ANYTHING ABRASIVE On Such A Jewel!

Here is what I have used for the longest to clean any type of Jewelery:

(it doesn't have to be exactly 1 cup..

I usually use a shot glass but I decrease it.#1 Is an example as to how to do it Per Measuring Cup)

1) In a 1 cup container of Hot to Warm water put,

2) 3 to 10 drops of any "soft" Liquid dish soap

3) 4 to 5 sprays of windex (or any Window Cleaner)

4) Let You can skip this step & go to the next if you want)it soak as long as you want to (no more than an Hour to be safe}.

5) Then after the soaking (or if u want, immediately)

6) Get a tooth brush (old or new, hard, medium or soft bristle. I used a used Hard Bristle toothbrush. It doesn't matter).

7) Pull out your Jewel('s) and dip your tooth brush into the Solution and scrub your Jewel('s) as needed

8) Then just run it under some Hot water and vala

Your Jewelry Looks Just Like New!

*Percentage*For Each Ingredient To Make The "Wonder SOLUTION":

80% hot water

15% window cleaner

5% dish soap

The Warm to Hot water gets more crud and helps loosen the crud.

The "Soft-Dish Soap" is the cleaner

And the Window Cleaner (besides helping the Soap)degreases it and when you rinse it off under the "HOT" water makes any of the access Soap,Window Cleaner or any thing that normally leaves a soapy or oily residue that may still be on it and makes the Window Cleaner (with all of the above mentioned Possible residue) evaporate preventing such mentioned above.

Strands of pearl necklace against a white background
Cleaning Pearl Jewelry
Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryMarch 3, 2008
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Woman Looking at Shirt Collar
Cleaning Ring Around the Collar
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Large Pearl Tapioca
Making Large Pearl Tapioca