Painting Kitchen With Grey/Black Counters

I am installing Comet (black, gold, and gray) granite countertops in my kitchen. What are some colors schemes that would work best.

By David from Dallas, TX

You could do a shade of grey that is one or two shaded lighter or darker than the countertop, depending on the intensity you want. Cranberry also works well, but can be dark. Shades of cream, wheat or desert tan also could work, depending on the grey. Here's info on painting the cabinets:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/painting-kitchen-cabinets.shtml

A bold blue or red.

December 5, 2009 Flag

I have a U-shaped kitchen, with black appliances, and blonde color laminate floor. I want to paint the cabinets and the walls, but I'm not sure what colors to do. We will be buying a grey/black granite counter top, so I wanted the cabinets to be a light grey color.

My living room is right beside the kitchen and can be seen from the kitchen, and it's going to be painted a light taupe/brown. So what color do I do the kitchen walls, and black splash?

Rachel from Calgary, AB

Answers:

Painting Kitchen With Grey/Black Coutners

You could choose a golden tan to match your blond counter top, or you can go a bit wild and choose a silver paint (Ralph Loren makes it) or even a gray (dark, light, or medium), then use a bright red (or another bright color) as an accent color. It could be it a tomato red or even a burgundy red (or even green, mustard or cobalt) and since your living room is a neutral color you can do pretty much anything you want in the adjoining room.

But read what I said about using something you really love to decorate around in this post: thriftyfun.com

Opps. I just read you're from Alberta. This means you have very little sunshine. (See above URL). Stay away from grays and choose a color with golden hues (like a golden beige, mustard or a golden tan, otherwise you'll get depressed with all that gray and little sunshine. I'm a firm believer in using decorating colors that match the climate you live in. (09/12/2008)

By Cyinda

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceDecember 5, 2009
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
🎉
🎄