Polar Fleece Draft Guard for Your Door

Susan from ThriftyFun

With all the frigid weather in the northern parts of the U.S. I thought I'd better get this one online.

I got tired of my draft guard not staying where it belonged, next to the bottom of the door keeping the cold air out. It was either being moved by my cats or being pushed out of the way when I opened the door to leave. It would remain away from the door until it was noticed or I came back home.

I needed something that weighed enough to stay put but also would allow me to open and close with the door. Here's how I solved the problem.

Materials:

• Polar Fleece (I bought remnants - you will need a piece about 1 foot long and the width of your door)
  • Window shade (36 inches or as long as your door is wide)
  • Sewable Velcro strips

Directions:

Double the polar fleece and wrap it over the window shade. You can leave the plastic on it or tape it closed if you use an old one. A 2 inch dowel (36 inches long or a 2" x 2" x 36" piece of wood would also work.)

Put the material around the shade and mark or pin it where you would sew your seam.

The velcro is a little tricky. You will want to glue the velcro onto the door, or you could staple or tack it. Put it up an inch from the bottom.

Put the other side of the velcro on the polar fleece. On mine I had the seam on top and pinned the velcro on one side of the fleece near where the seam would be.

Make sure that the two sides of the velcro will stick to each other when you put the draft guard next to the door.

When you are sure it will work, stitch the velcro on, sew the long seam, either by hand or by machine. Insert the window shade and sew up the ends.

Stick it to the door by matching up the velcro on the door and the velcro on the guard.

I hope I've explained this well enough. We made it last year and other than the cats occasionally pulling it away from the door or someone kicking it so it comes off the velcro, it has worked very well.

Susan from ThriftyFun

yep i have a pair of sweat pants at my back door. i also stuffed some material in the opening near the door knob.

my window where i sit was really cold so i stuffed some plastic bags in where you would open the window and it has helped. but in this computer room it is just plain cold.

I've never seen one of these in action so please forgive me if this is a dumb question but - why the velcro? Why not just attach the draft guard to the door with the staples or tacks that you would be using to attach the velcro? Do you need to take it off when you open the door?

It looks like a great idea and our door is so drafty... our house is OLD and drafts are a big problem.

Editor's Note: There is really no reason why you couldn't just staple it, it would work the same. I didn't want to put staples in my door and I like to be able to remove it in the summer when the draft is welcome and also to be able to unstitch one end to wash the polar fleece once in a while. Also if you had a metal door, it would be hard to staple. I can really feel the difference when it is on and highly recommend it.

May I suggest the grey pipe insulation.....it is already cut and you just measure, cut and slide it on the bottom of the door. Both sides are covered. This is what I do to the doors to the rooms I don't use and where I have the heat turned off. Works great!! and not expensive.

This all sounds great but we have a different type situation. There is cold air coming in our sockets on the north side of our house. Has anyone every heard of that? I bought the foam inserts and the air still comes in. Any suggestions?

That is a problem with older homes or inexperienced electricians usually inexperienced persons remove too much of the original insulation. What type insulation do you have. How close to the box does the insulation come. Check with your local hardware or building supply, they can recommend a good insulation for your area.

Use the plug in safety "caps" to prevent children from sticking anything into electrical outlets.

Use the safety plugs to prevent children from sticking things into electrical outlets.

Door Draft Stopper
Making a Door Draft Stopper
Crafts MiscellaneousFebruary 6, 2007
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
Polar Fleece Blankets Ready for Poncho Making
Making a Polar Fleece Poncho
National Guard Woman
Joining the National Guard
🎉
🎄