Alvie (Labrador Retriever)

This is Alvie, our Black Lab. We got him on a Friday and by Monday he was breaking out with little blisters on his face. Took him to the vet and he said it was "puppy mumps". Within a few weeks, he looked like this. We went thru 4 months of visiting the vet and medication. The vet said it was the worst case he'd seen in his 25 years of practice. The poor little thing. We couldn't even hold him because of the odor, but we loved him. Alvie is now 3 years old and was left with some scarring on his muzzle . He's the best dog you'd ever want.

By Penny from Ipava

I've never even heard of puppy mumps. It looks so painful. I'm glad he eventually got over it, and that he has you. He's a very lucky pup to get someone to love him so much.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Poor little guy -- I'm glad he's better now. I'm sure he knew how loved he was and how lucky he is to have you nursing him back to health. I hope he enjoys a long and happy life with you!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

How sad(& scary) that must have been for you! I never heard of such a thing in all my years of having dogs, from puppies on up to older ages. Guess I will be asking my vet about this next time I have to take 1 of my doxies in. Thanks for the info!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

thanks for sharing your story... its to bad your dog had to go threw such a ordeal.... glad he is in a loving home that could understand and still love him....

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Oh my god!!! Thats terrible!!! Poor little guy, bless his heart, how sad.I'm glad you still loved him and took care of him!!! I give you credit!!! I never in my life heard of "puppy mumps", never had a dog who had them either.He is very lucky to have such great parents!!! Give him a hug from my dog, Mimi and I.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Poor little guy, he must have been miserable. I'm glad he turned out to be a wonderful dog. When we love them we don't see the scarring or flaws we only see with our hearts. Give him a big hug!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

How wonderful of you to get care for your puppy. He

knows you took very good care of him. It was so

heartwarming the way you took such great care taking him to the vet and nursed him back to health.

God Bless you and hugs to Alvie and my doggies

send puppy kisses too.

Reply Like this photo? Yes