Make Your Own Reflective Ironing Board Cover

Place aluminum foil under the ironing board cover. The foil heats up faster and cuts your time in half.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Great idea! Thank you! One thing to add tho, is that the heavy duty type works best.

Great idea! Works like a charm. I don't know why I didn't think about doing that. Thanks again

September 27, 2010 Flag

You may or may not have seen those advertisements for reflective ironing board covers that are supposed to cut your ironing time in half because you heat up both sides of the item you are ironing. You can get the same effect for much less than the $40 dollars advertised by covering your ironing board in heavy duty foil, then covering it with your regular ironing board cover. The heat will reflect off the foil and iron the bottom while you are ironing the top of the item you are ironing.

By G. Stevenson

Answers:

Foil on Your Ironing Board

Put foil under your ironing board cover to help insulate it. The foil will help heat the underside of the item you are pressing.

By ThriftyFun (11/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Great idea, but I wonder how long before the foil will reach a high enough temperature to create a fire in the insulation material in the bottom of the ironing board cover? (11/24/2005)

By Judy

Regarding the question about fire: the insulation in the ironing board cover has an ignition point far higher than any iron could heat it to - I'm a physicist, and I wanted to reassure anyone concerned about this. (11/24/2005)

By Carolyn.

I have used foil under my Ironing board pad for 20 + years and have never had a problem with burning or scorching the cover I even use it under the pad on my shirt press. When I use an ironing board without the foil I can really tell the difference in the time required to iron a garment. (01/23/2007)

By Greg1796

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Make Your Own LaundrySeptember 27, 2010
Over the Door Ironing Board
Using an Over the Door Ironing Board
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
CD Candle Holder
Making a CD Candle Holder
Bulletin Board
Making a Bulletin Board
🎉
🎄