Boil Eggs With Potatoes for Salad

When I am cooking potatoes for potato salad, I put my eggs in with the potatoes. This way they all cook together, and I don't have to use another pot.

By Janis from Madisonville TN

Personally, I would rather have to use two pans, which are both easily cleanable cooking these two items, rather than taking the chance of bacteria possibly leaching from the egg shells in to the potatoes. Beyond that worry, potatoes take much longer to cook than eggs so the eggs could be way overcooked even for potato salad.

One problem about that is that eggs are their very best, and certainly look their best if they are not really boiled, but rather brought to a boil, then set off the heat and left in the water for about 20 minutes. They are pretty and yellow, no greenish brown on the edges of the yolk. Just something I was told many years ago, and have passed on to many family and friends.

I have always boiled my egg with my potatoes for potato salad an have no problems at all and I have been cooking for quite a few years. 45, to be exact... LOL

September 17, 2011 Flag

Does boiling potatoes with your eggs add flavor?

By Martin from Upstate, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It doesn't add flavor but it is practical because both have to be boiled. Be sure and leave the skins on potatoes while boiling to keep them from getting mushy. Don't over cook and use red potatoes. They are firmer and make a better salad.

I don't see how either could add more flavor to the other because the egg shell is a heavy barrier. I would not recommend boiling potatoes and eggs together because they each take different amounts of time to cook. Potatoes depend on what type of potatoes you are boiling and also whether they are being used for mashers, potato salad or stew, etc. Keep in mind that eggs are brought to a boil and then the temperature turned off allowing them to finish cooking on their own whereas potatoes are brought to a boil and then the temperature is turned down to medium.

No, I just always put my eggs in with my potatoes when cooking them for potato salad to save messing up two pans.

August 24, 2010 Flag

Ever make potato or macaroni salad only to remember you forgot to boil the eggs? I always toss the eggs in with the potatoes or macaroni and boil at the same time.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO WASH THE EGGS COMPLETELY BEFORE PUTTING IN THE PAN!

This is the only way I can ever have boiled eggs AND potatoes/macaroni at the same time. Again, don't forget to wash the eggs first!

Source: I didn't find this anywhere, just made sense when I stopped to think about how I could avoid this problem every time.

By Sandie from Curtice, OH

Answers:

Boil Eggs With Potatoes Or Macaroni For Salad

I would think that the calcium that leaches from the shells and would be absorbed would be an added plus to the macaroni or potatoes. Good idea. (05/15/2008)

By

Great idea! Thanks a lot. (05/15/2008)

By bailegirl

Every time I'm tempted to do this I remember when I caught Salmonella, how painful it was, how very long it lasted, how NOTHING but antibiotics would heal it, and finally how I caught it: boiling eggs with potatoes! Boiling kills a lot of things, but not everything, and there are bacteria, molds, viruses, and mutant strains of things that live in WHITE HEAT, the hottest heat anywhere, so this gives us a good idea to not totally depend upon cooking to kill everything.

God bless and keep you. : )

Editor's Note: Salmonella can be found in raw or undercooked eggs. Pasteurized eggs are one way to prevent this. For more information, here is a website.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/salmonellosis_gi.html#7 (05/16/2008)

By Lynda

I do this trick also, but for the potatoes, I add the eggs the last 10 minutes or so, since eggs don't take as long as potatoes do to cook. (05/16/2008)

By KLJohn

What a clever idea! I forget to boil my eggs all of the time. Do you ever have trouble with the eggs breaking when you place them into the boiling water for the macaroni? With potatoes, the water would start out cool and so the eggs would heat up with the potatoes. Do you set the timer to pull the eggs out before the potatoes are cooked completely? (05/20/2008)

By amazon13

You're right. that's so easy. I have always done that and it saves time and extra pots to clean. (05/20/2008)

By <onica</p>

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsAugust 24, 2010
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Chef Salad
Chef Salad Recipes
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Sandwich With Soft Boiled Eggs
Recipes Using Boiled Eggs
🎉
🎄