Cure for Ear Aches

Here's a tip if you're prone to ear aches or getting water in your ears. In past years, I got this tip from an ex-co-worker. She said she used to have problems with her ears all the time and with having to see a doctor for it all the time, got to be pretty costly, not to mention having to miss work.

Her doctor suggested that she mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. When she felt like her ears were clogging up, to lie down and put 2-3 drops of this solution in her infected ear. Allow the drops to do their work, for about an hour or so. She said this was the greatest advice and that now she still uses the doctor's advice and it's helped her tremendously.

I thought this might be the time to post this, with summer swimming taking place.

By Terri from NV

I dont know about the alcohol part, but according to my kids' pediatrician, putting a few drops of peroxide in each ear and letting it "sizzle" for a while will loosen up any wax in the ears.

This does work. However, you shouldn't rely on it to be a cure all. If the ear ache persists after a day or two see a doctor. I have a bad ear. Naughty thing tries to get infected regularly. If I can tell an infection is trying to get started I use the peroxide and alcohol and it usually prevents a full blown infection that can damage the ear.

Often a mixture of alcohol and vinegar are used to prevent swimmer's ear. Both kill bacteria/fungus and the alcohol dries the ear canal.

Peroxide will soften the wax so it can make its way out of the ear canal, and again, the alcohol will kill fungus/bacteria in the ear canal and help dry the canal.

Either can be used if problems persist from getting water in the canal, or try using ear plugs. However, if you have a middle/inner ear infection (infection on the inner side of the ear drum), this treatment will not work and may make matters worse. In this case, seeing an MD is imperative for treatment. Recurrent infections can permanently damage the ear leading to hearing loss and/or deafness.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 12, 2006
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
Woman With Body Aches
Home Remedies for Body Aches
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears