Graduation Party Ideas: Librarian

After what will be five years of graduate school, I will finally earn my Master of Library Science degree next spring. I would like to host a graduation party to celebrate this achievement. I would like to tie in the idea of libraries and books as the main theme of the party. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this in a fun, inexpensive way?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Blue

I'd make the cake a big book.

Stacks of books for centerpieces with vase of flowers/flower petals scattered around.Or scatter cards from a deck of Authors cards instead of flower petals. Invitations that look like library cards or overdue notices. Pictures of famous writers on the walls. Book bags as favors.

The dollar store has rose petals in the bridal area.

The book bags could be plain gift bags from the dollar store that you decorate. I assume you have lots of books, but if you don't want to use "good" books, get some from Freecycle or a thrift shop. Google "free printable invitations " to find templates to use. This is what I did back in the 80's when my husband got his MLS degree at the age of 45.

Congratulations on your achievement.

Here's a fun idea, it's an ice breaker if you have people that don't know each other. Take sticky name tags (the ones like Hi my name is...) and write a name of a book on each one (one for each person) as guests arrive stick one on their back, as the party progresses people ask questions about the name of the book that is on their back.

For an activity, have a table where guests can make their own books...makingbooks.com is one site (simple books geared toward children, but also towards adults for a quick activity), or check your public library for accordian books, etc. You have enough time to make samples, gather materials (check with old-time printers to see if they have leftover paper that they don't need, cardstock)and embellishments. Also, make bead and ribbon bookmarks. Print out quotes, snip into lines, and paste on paper or plastic glasses.

Enjoy.

You can get an old librarian wooden file card holder or an old metal one. Clean it up really good and line it with tissue paper to match your decorations and leave some of the drawers unused, because the ones you use will have to stay open. Put different types of cookies or orderves in some of the drawers. Label the type of stuff in each drawer with the label on the front of the drawer. I know it would be difficult to use a full set of these card holders, but some of them come in small groups that stack...especially the metal ones.

you can paint it to match your stuff if you wish, or leave it the way it is for an antique look....

you can decorate with old books.

as a guest gift, have bookmarks made marking the occation, and for special people (such as those who have helped you through school like your parents or a special friend, teacher, or advisor) give them a book that reminds you of them or you think they would like with a letter inside thanking them.

You could also have a cake decorated in several ways with books on it.

Thank you all for the excellent ideas! I can't wait to use them for my party!

At my grocery store, they've got a machine that will print any picture on a sheet of rice paper. They put the rice paper onto a frosted cake, so the cake now holds the picture of whatever the original was. If your store does a similar service, give them your favorite book jacket and have them use that as the 'base', then add a line at the bottom with your name on it. Or have them cut out part of the picture (where the author's name goes) and put your name there in icing, so that the picture is there but the name is all you.

Graduation Party Ideas
Graduation Party Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties GraduationNovember 11, 2008
A girl who has graduated, wearing her cap and gown.
College Graduation Party Ideas
High School Graduation Party Cupcake Centerpiece
High School Graduation Party Centerpiece Ideas
Mini Graduation Cap
Making Mini Graduation Cap Party Favors
Graduation Party Cupcake
Physicians Assistant Graduation Party Ideas
🎉
🎄