Cooking TipsFood Tips

Soaking Up Bacon Grease

For years when I cook bacon, I have always placed the bacon on paper towels to soak up the bacon grease. I do this for hamburgers too. Instead of buying paper towels all the time, I am looking for another way to do this. What do you do?

Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

Hi - I save old pieces of stale bread in a container for my bacon and just pull out when I need it. Just place 2 pieces of bread on a plate under the bacon, absorbs the grease well.

I put one paper towel on top of old newspaper. The newspaper absorbes the grease, while the paper towel keeps it clean.

I use coffee filters and/or a paper grocery bag.

I use coffee filters and/or a brown paper bag from the grocery store. I suppose you could use the inexpensive lunch bags too.

cut your brown bags down to plate size & keep them near the stove - use them under fried food with only ONE paper towel instead of several !

For years I have laundered old T-shirts and other mostly cotton clothing that cannot be reused due to tears or stains. I then take these clean clothes and cut them up into washcloth sized pieces (more or less). I would use this instead of paper towels for blotting bacon. In addition, using these same clean rags, I have never again had to launder a dishcloth since I use them once and toss it. No more smelly dishcloths. We also use them in the shower as a washcloth as well (and then toss it). No more washcloths to launder. True--it's not very fancy but doing less laundry is more important to me than having a nice dishcloth or washcloth to use. For guests, of course, I'll get out the "nice" washcloths since most are not as thrifty minded as I am.

I use my splatter screen for my frying pan.

Once the bacon or hamburger are cooked I put them on top of the screen, which sits on top of the frying pan.

It lets the grease drain back into the frying pan and I put a large lid on top of the meat to keep it warm, while the rest is cooking

You can buy splatter screens at the dollar store.

I pour the grease into a cup or empty can and when it has solidified, I put it in the garbage - no need for a paper towel because I throw the can or put the cup in the dishwasher once I've scraped the bacon fat out with a rubber scraper.

I saw on Paula Deen when she frys up chicken, to take the clean side of a paper bag, like from the grocery store, and use that to soak up. I used it and it works!!

Sorry if someone already sent this!!

The pieces of bread are a good idea - and then you have a dog treat. I save all of my bacon grease in a can and make suet cakes for the wild birds out of them.

I always save the extra napkins that come in the bags of take out food for just this purpose. I layer several on a plate and because they will fall apart so easily I lay just one of my paper towels on top. That way you don't have any paper sticking to the bacon.

I generally use newsprint (black and white only). Of course, if I'm saving grease to make a batch of soap, I pour it in a jar instead.

I also use slices of bread to soak up the bacon grease, (but you really shouldn't give them to your dog, as dogs also get high cholesterol from too much fat)..just place your cooked bacon on a slice of stale bread, or the crust (heel)...which my family won't eat! Let the bread soak up the grease. I put the bread slices out for the Blue Jays, and other birds...they love this treat, and wild birds don't get high cholesterol, probably because of all the exercise they get. The squirrels love this, too.

My mom always laid it out on torn open brown paper bags.

I also put the fat from bacon on bread and feed it to the birds.

Here in Northern Canada, we have awefully cold winters. The wild birds need the fat to help keep them warm.

I use 1 or 2 paper towels on top of old newspapers, too. Depends on the amount of grease and the quantity of food. My mother used to put a paper towel or two on top of a cut up brown paper bag with newspapers underneath. Just depends on what you have in the house.

I cook my bacon in the microwave on a special

microwave bacon plate it has ridges and the

grease drains I only need one paper towel as

it comes out great and no mess. I drain grease

into a can and toss outl.

good luck

I saw this on the cooking channel, and now this is what I do with anything that I fry. Use a cookie sheet and a cooling rack. I put the cooling rack (wire rack that you would put baked goods on to cool) onto of the cookie sheet and the grease drains!! Not only does it drain the grease, but it cools the food at the same time. After using this method, I won't go back to using paper towels to get rid of the extra grease.

I know that initially this is not thrifty, but once you have your www.g-Spout.com you can use it to not only drain n pour off your cooking oil or hamburger/bacon grease. I recyle my old cooking oil for biodiesel and my bacon grease I love to make suet for the birds n winter.

In a restaurant I worked in they used empty egg cartons to soak up bacon grease. Of course, they had the larger flat egg trays. It works very well. If you don't like the idea of placing them right on the carton you can top them with just one paper towel.