Homemade Plant Markers

Category Miscellaneous
The cost of buying plant markers may be prohibitive, but you can make some unique ones using purchased or household items. This is a guide about homemade plant markers.

Making Popsicle Stick Plant Markers

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making Popsicle stick plant markers. Popsicle sticks are great for making inexpensive plant markers.

Cork Plant Markers

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cork plant markers. Corks can be used to make simple recycled plant markers.

stone garden marker

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making stone garden markers. Choose some pretty smooth stones to use for making garden plant markers.

Sand Dollar Plant Markers

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains sand dollar plant markers. These dried sea urchins can be made into colorful garden accessories.

You can make garden tags out of leftover aluminum roof flashing (the kind on a roll). I took a simple tag design that I drew, printed it out on heavy paper, and cut it out. I took that template and a Sharpie and traced that design onto the flashing metal multiple times. I cut it out with regular scissors, then punched a small hole with a hole punch for a place to hang them. The garden tags can be decorated by embossing if you like, simply etch the name of the plant you are identifying with a sharp tool.

By jason0475 from Collegeville, PA

What A great idea! They look fantastic! I am going to use my dremel tool to etch the tags.

Thank you so much!

I have moved multiple times and added and split perennials to each flower garden. Sadly, after tending to a variety of gardens, I have had trouble keeping track of what's been planted and where.

Labels with plant names.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This is a method for making plant labels that are weather resistant and pretty, for the project presented in Birds and Blooms Magazine. The designer did not give measurements for the labels she made. So I came up with my own.

Save those plastic knives from your picnic to make durable row markers. Mark plant variety and planting date with permanent marker. Push knife with handle side in the ground.

One of the most difficult things to find for the garden is plant markers that hold up to the seasons. After experimenting for decades, I have many suggestions...

Seedling And Plant Labels

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I save all plastic labels that come with bedding plants. I clean them a bit and store them in a baggie along with a roll of good masking tape and a permanent marker.

Use old forks as garden markers. Simply "weave" your seed packets through the tines on forks you no longer use. Stick them in the garden to mark your rows. Even plastic forks could be used, but be sure they are firmly pushed in the ground.

Instead of paying $5 for 20 garden markers, go to the Dollar store and get 30 plastic knives for $1 instead. Use a permanent marker for your plant name and place accordingly.

Instead of buying plant markers go to your hardware store and ask for a bundle of shims. These are very inexpensive wooden slats and have plenty of room to use a permanent marker to write the name of the plant.

If you take a short length of 1/2 inch water pipe and cut it lengthwise about 1/4 inch with a hack saw and then cut one side in to your cut, it gives you a curved embossing tool. Making a straight embossing tool is easy. Any piece of metal with the same thickness as your curved tool will do.

Have leftover wooden spoons that come with the little ice cream cups or popsicle sticks? Use them as labels in your garden.

I am looking for ideas for making plant markers. They have gotten so expensive (like about 12 little plastic markers for $5.00).

By Regina

I just cut up a used bleach bottle, or other fairly strong plastic bottle. I mark it with a Sharpie, or other permanent marker.

Something you can use are the wooden tongue depressor-type sticks that craft stores sell in big boxes. Use a Sharpie or other waterproof pen and then after the ink is dry you can lay a number of markers on a sheet of newspaper and spray them with a clear spray...just a light spray to weather-proof the ink.

I just replaced my white, plastic vertical blinds. They went straight into the garage because that area is where I keep things to be used differently someday! The blinds cut easily with just a scissors and need only a permanent marker for this project. When official warm weather starts, I plan on using them for plant markers.