Tips of Fingernails are Clear

The tips of my fingernails have turned clear, they are not white. Could it be that I need more calcium in my diet? Does anyone have any advice?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

This is normal. Your nails are made up of keratin, which is naturally translucent. If the free edge of your nails is opaque white, this means your nails are dry. The whiter they are, the dryer they are. It is normal to have translucent free edges.

Although, if your nails have frequent contact with water, the water can absorb into your nails and strip them of natural oils, causing them to become more translucent-white than opaque-white. This will eventually go away in time, so long you refrain from frequent hand-washing and things like nail polish remover. Acetone or acetone-free, nail polish removers can also strip your nails of their natural oils, causing them to be translucent.

So long you haven't abused your nails, you're perfectly healthy!

- Bleyncé

Fingernails are Clear
Why Are the Tips of My Fingernails Clear?
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsMarch 24, 2010
hands full of soil
Cleaning Fingernails After Gardening
Faux Fingernails
Using Faux Fingernails
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business