Extending The Life Of My Skirts By Adding Elastic

As I get older my waistline expands and I find that my skirts get tighter! I don't want to throw them away, does anyone know of a way to make them larger by "taking them up" at the waistband, and make them elasticated instead of button and zip?

I realize that this will make them slightly shorter but that doesn`t matter. Also, a lot of my skirts have a zip up the front, any ideas how to incorporate that? (I always wear blouses over the top of my skirts, I don't tuck them into the waistband.)

Looking forward to hearing from someone. :)

Jan from England

If you haven't grown too much you can loop a rubberband through the button hole and then back through itself and secure the button with the rubberband. Don't know what to do about the zippers, though.

I read a letter from a woman who sews clothing for many of her (long-distance) relatives. She says that instead of finishing the waistbands of these garments, she sews a buttonhole on the inside of the waistband, pulls both ends of the elastic through it, and secures it with a safety pin. This way her relatives simply try the garment on and sew one line of stitching or just re-pin where they need it! I would leave a little extra elastic on the inside. The buttonhole can be used to add new elastic as needed without cutting your seams. As for your zipper, why not sew it closed using a ladder-stitch by hand or a zig-zag by machine. How about making it into a pocket or adding applique?

Altering Clothing on Sewing Machine
Altering Old Clothing Into New
Crafts ClothingJanuary 17, 2005
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Elastic
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Bed Skirts
Craft Uses for Bed Skirts
🎉
🎄