Do I Cut Celery To Keep It Fresh?

I read in your newsletter about wrapping celery in foil to keep it crisp. Thanks for the tip. I have a question though, I have read elsewhere about cutting the celery. Do I need to cut the bottom off the bunch of celery before I wrap it? Thanks.

Darlene in Mississauga

I found that if you don't cut the celery at all it will last longer. I've trimmed washed and cut and it only lasted short of a week.

When I just wrapped it - it lasted over two weeks.

I always soak my celery in water and a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide. I take the stalks apart, clean well, and cut them in convient lengths. Then let air dry on a towel, or help the drying along with the towel and wrap the simular sizes together in alum foil. Usually have 5 or 6 wrapped bundels from one celery package. and I only take one small package out of refrigator when I need celery. As long as it is good and dry when I wrap it lasts a long time. I used some yesterday that I bought 3 weeks ago. Joy @ www.aloetherapy.com

Thank you this will help. I have a guinea pig and she loves carrots and celery and the celery was going limp before she would eat it all.

Thanks for the help.

I watched a cooking show, and they said to always cut celery on an angle, and the celery will stay crisp when cooking.

You can always refresh it in a glass of ice water.

I wrap the whole stalk of celery in paper towel and place it in those green bags. I swear by these bags. I use them for all my veggies and the brown ones for my bread.