Make Your Own Potpourri

Think ahead for wonderful Holiday gifts.

Each spring and summer, I used to go around to my friends' gardens and pick the flower petals up from the ground (do this at mid day when dew isn't on them.) Take the flowers or petals home and lay them out on newspaper on the floor and leave to dry (about 2 weeks.) Next, get as many glass gallon jugs as you can from restaurants and place a mix of different colored flowers in each. Then place different fragrance oils (essential oils) in each jar.

Ideas And Recipes

• Put in 1 jar, small pine cones, twigs, red geraniums, and cedar, etc., then add spruce oil (not pine oil or it will smell like Pine-Sol!) This is a colorful red and green "Christmas" potpourri.

Hint: For flowers that dry bright red, and don't turn brown, use red geraniums.

• Save and dry citrus rinds like orange and lemon, then add crushed cinnamon sticks, cloves and mixed flowers and leaves. Then add orange oil for another wonderful Christmas potpourri.

• Mix together 2 or 3 other different types of flower blends and put each of these into a "glass" gallon jar, then stir in essential oils, in each a different oil. TeaRose was very popular!

Keep these jars in a place with no sun and leave them sit until right before Christmas (stirring monthly.) I then put each floral blend into a different fancy clear glass jar with a matching ribbon. I sold them at my mom's work right before Christmas and at Christmas Craft Fairs.

Everyone loved them and they paid for my kids' Christmas that year!

By Cyinda

Aren't there any recipes for potpourri other than for Christmas? There really are 11 more months in the year besides just December!

Editor's Note: Here is another link to potpourri recipe and there are feedback with suggestions. Maybe this will give you some ideas for non Christmas potpourri:

Please feel free to post your own tips or recipes for making potpourri.

When I posted this, only one of these ideas was a Christmas ONLY potpourri. (The spruce/cedar). The one with the orange/lemon & cinnamon can be used all year long... The scent you choose to use is yours to decide. I recommended Tea Rose because it was my best seller (& it wasn't a Christmas scent). I recommended selling the jars of potpourri to help pay for your Christmas, but you could sell them at ANY time of the year. In fact, you could do the same thing for summer potpourri. It all depends on the colors you choose & the scent you decide to add... Scents like Spruce are great for Christmas whereas Orange-Cinnamon, Vanilla, Floral & berry fragrances work great for the rest of the year. Make up your very own recipe, you don't need one! Just chose any essential oil you love & add it to flowers, leaves & berries that have a nice color when dried. Then leave them to sit for several months shaking weekly, & you can't go wrong! The most important thing is to have fun!

Making Your Own Potpourri
Making Your Own Potpourri
Crafts FloralMay 28, 2009
Close up of cinnamon and orange potpouri
Making a Cinnamon and Orange Potpourri Bag
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri
A sachet filled with potpourri
Crafts Using Potpourri
Making a Potpourri Pie
Making a Potpourri Pie