Ideas for Storing Yarn Stash

Help. My yarn stash is out of control and I need some ideas on how to store it all. I have tried the clear plastic containers, they are not working for me. We have very limited space in our house so any suggestions would be great.

By Amy from Brazil, IN

Hi Amy,

If you have some extra closet space, you can buy those inexpensive closet organizers (the ones for shoes that hang on a closet rod) and hang one up. The individual shoe compartments are great for storing yarn, and you can usually fit more than one skein in each compartment. If you don't have the closet space but have space even in your basement (if the humidity levels are okay) you can probably find a spot to put a rod up there.

Good luck!

I have also tried plastic containers but preferred storing my yarn in large drawers which seemed more organized. Luckily I had a spare bedroom where I could do this. But I also had yarn stacked in vertical wire storage baskets in the closet of the spare bedroom. Much as it pained me to do so, I ended up resorting to downsizing my yarn stash. I go through phases where I enjoy doing a lot of knitting and then have periods where I don't. I still have a way to go but realistically sorted out batches of wool that I'd least likely use and sold them on ebay. I've condensed what's left into a drawer unit in the hall closet and the rest into plastic tubs in a sideboard in the living area. I still have a way to go but it starts with getting it under control and then organizing. Good luck :)

Coming from a lifelong pack rat, have you used up the space under the beds yet? There are inexpensive large, flat rectangular plastic storage bins with lids that fit perfectly underneath a bed. I've also seen cheaper cardboard boxes that are meant for under-the-bed storage too.

I received 4 large leaf garbage bags of yarn from friends and since I live in a small apartment, I was running out of space. I got the Spacesaver bags (Ziploc bags which you draw out all air and it shrinks the yarn into smaller proportions) and store them in canvas storage totes which all these come in a set. But before I put them in a Spacesaver bag, I organized the yarns into projects and than place them in grocery plastic bags and tie them shut. Now they are in two canvas toes which fit on my closet shelf.

Also when I am working on a project, I use ZIPLOC gallon sized bags and place a skein of yarn in separate bags. When not working on project, they zip shut to keep yarn clean, and than I just grab a tote bag and place the zipped yarn in it and grab scissors, needles, hooks and tape measure and take the project on the go while on the road with family, while doing laundry, while talking to friends downstairs or at Drs.' office, dentist. I open one bag and grab hook I open the bag, grab the yarn end and then pull it out. Then rezip only enough to keep ball or skein from falling out.

It keeps yarn clean and most likely from cats and dogs chewing or playing with the yarn. There is enough space for the skein or ball to unravel. Great when doing blocks, granny squares or small projects. It will also store the project (blocks or squares) when you have to quit, protecting that from dust and other destroyers.