KitchenHome Improvement

Beware Using Glitter When Refinishing Counter Tops

I refinished my counter tops with granite spray and enviro and thought it would be a good idea to use glitter to resemble granite. What a disaster! The glitter stood straight up, made bumps all over the counters. I haven't tried sanding them, but plan to do that soon. If that doesn't work, I will try to pour another layer of the enviro over the counters.

By Becky from Chesterland Ohio

Wow, sorry to hear about the glitter bumps. I did my daughters counter tops a year or so ago. There was a ceiling vent directly over the countertop and the next day there were all kinds of bumps and such that got stuck in the wet enviro. (all sorts of construction going on at the time) I could have cried! I sanded smooth, cleaned with alcohol, and layed down a second coat of enviro. I made sure I blocked the vent off so nothing would blow directly on it. The next day it was so smooth and shiny! Good luck!

Your story reminded me of my MIL. She painted her hallway ceiling white & then threw glitter onto the wet paint. It clumped up & looked very odd. She liked it though.

Becky, I just did my counters and ran into the same thing. I had square-shaped black glitter and a separate container of glitter that looked more like gold flecks/slivers. The smaller glitter worked fine, and if I had to do over, I'd use just that. In places (but strangely, not everywhere) the black glitter left bumps in my counter.

Did you get away with just sanding? Or did you have to sand and repour the eviro? I'd sure like to know the steps you took to fix the bumps before I try it myself.

To add to my woes, a horsefly flew onto the countertop as it was hardening and got stuck. I thought about leaving him there as a conversation piece (ha, ha), but I decided to dig him out. The coat was already setting, so it was difficult to smooth out the place he muddled. I applied the last bit of enviro I had left over it, but now there's a few waves there. Minus the goofs, I really like the look for the price.