Track Grocery Stores Sales Cycles

This idea takes time and planning to set up, but will save lots of money on the grocery bill. All the stores seem to cycle their sale items. Track some of the items that you use, and you may see them on sale often, You might even want to keep notes.

I have been doing this for several years, and with many of my staples, I NEVER pay full price. I have come to know that when peanut butter is on sale, if I buy 6 jars, it will last until the next time it comes on sale.

Last week Kroger store had eggs for $1.00 a dozen. Regular price was about $1.62. I bought 6 dozen. They keep quite a long time without going bad, and by the time I need eggs again, they will be on sale again.

Frozen vegetables that are regularly $1.29 to $1.35 are another item that cycles about every couple months. They will be on sale for 10/$10.00, and I buy at least 10. Cereal is another item that this works with.

If you start studying the sale ads, you will find the list just gets longer and longer. I have not paid over $5.00 for a large can of coffee for over 4 years. Of course, I am never loyal to one brand.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

A great common sense post thanks. It is one of the best ways to save real money on your essentials. We try to do this whenever we can. For instance I bought 12 kilo bags of Buckwheat last week because I know I will use it and it is always at least $2 more per bag than it was on sale for. The problem for folk with limited cash is it is hard to outlay the extra money in order to save, if you don't have it. I try to keep a little back each week so we can do this when we get the chance.

I do the same with meat. Pork is always on sale in the winter, steaks on certain holidays etc. I have a food saver sealer ( bought it in 1995 ) and we bought a small freezer for less than $150 so I package everything into meal sized portions. I reuse the vacuum bags and have never had a problem. Check prices online often because of fuel prices going up. Amazon.Com alerted us of the vacuum bags going up by $ 3.00 So I ordered them now and they will last me 2 years or more. I bought 3 pack of each size for $48. One roll at Walmart is $12 plus tax( may be more now) so it would have cost me $72 plus tax, got free shipping too. Since I live 30 miles from town that saves me on fuel also.

The other trick is to track these sales in your price book, but then to use a coupon on top of that. There are some items I have not paid for in years due to coupling sales with coupons, other items I have very low "buy prices" for. For example, Birds Eye and Green Giant frozen vegetables, I only purchase when I get them for free. Deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, shampoo, conditioner, soap, all free. Brand name cereal, never more than $.50/box. Ragu pasta sauce, free. Pasta, free. Milk, eggs, bread, can all be frozen with absolutely no difference in taste. My advice is to take your initial grocery savings to invest in a freezer. But lets face it, for some of us these type of savings are the only way we can survive month to month. The organization and planning involved in tracking these type of sales cycles have been an absolute godsend for me and my family.

Sales Flyers
Keeping Track of Sales
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingFebruary 8, 2011
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players