Water Heater Keeps Tripping the Breaker

I have an old water heater. The tank is solid stainless steel, with no leaking. We have replaced the heating elements (because of the age we could not get the exact factory elements.)

It heated the water and then it tripped the breaker. We thought maybe the thermostat was not working, so we changed that out. It still trips the breaker, so maybe the breaker was old and worn out (six years old). I replaced the breaker (only the water heater is on this breaker) only to have it tripped again. Any ideas?

If I have to call a professional, do I call a electrician or a plumber? A nice man that takes care of apartments said the water heater is good and to save it, with a stainless steel tank it should last with some TLC.

By Sherry from SomewhereinMI, MI

Sounds like you've got an electrical short somewhere. I'd call an electrician first.

Maybe it's because you couldn't get the proper element. The substitute you are using may be drawing more electricity than the original did.

Water Heater Trips and/or Heats Up Breaker
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalMay 15, 2011
Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🎄