Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I recently discovered a way to refill a Glade Plug In. I used a small screwdriver to pry up the the plastic plug that holds the wick, removed the wick, refilled the base with canola and essential oils, then replaced the wick with a piece of wood dowel. The wood dowel fit perfectly and wicks up the oil well. I wonder if this is safe? Can I leave it unattended? I don't want to start a fire.

By Amy from Janesville, WI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Andrew03/15/2011

Much better and safer answer is using the Re-Scent-It system. Go to Re-Scent-It.com and see their easy fragrance refilling system so you can refill your own Glade or any other brand of diffusers with the exact same fragrances bought in the bottles. Don't risk using the wrong oils. It could be a fire hazard.

By ayesha christmas [35]05/20/2010

I think it may be better to use alchohol as a carrier for the essential oils but I am not certain. They might evaporate too fast. I just wonder if the 100% oil refill will evaporate at all?

Here are questions related to Refilling Glade Plug-ins.

Question: Refilling a Glade Plug-in

Can you refill a Glade plug in with your own potpourri oil and how do you do it?

By Tracy D.

Question: Glade Plug-in Doesn't Emit Scent Anymore

Do the Glade Plug-ins with the slide in scent ever lose their capability to emit scent?

By Rose B.

Most Recent Answer

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]11/26/2011

Robin's right. The scent unit gets empty and has to be replaced. We use the Sense & Spray, & we do well if the little cannister lasts an entire month. Worse yet, they frequently change the design just enough so you have to buy an entirely new unit. :(

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

Can you refill those wall-outlet scenters to make your house smell good? I have several glade ones that are getting very expensive to buy. They say they last a month. I'm not getting that much time from mine. Does anyone have anyway to refill these ourselves? I think we all would love this.

God Bless,
Angelheart from Clyde, TX

RE: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I've never tried the Glade, but many plug ins can be adjusted to release a certain amount of scent. If you open the thing (I don't know what it's called) all the way the scent is used up much faster. This is hard to explain because I don't know the proper terms. Examine your plug in carefully. If it's adjustable there should be a little lever (?) that slides. (08/29/2007)

By perfume and powder

RE: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I'm assuming you mean the ones that have 2 side-by-side reservoirs with a wick. Just pry the plastic wick holder up and fill with any liquid potpourri. Slip the top back on. Make sure it snaps in place. Voila a refill! (08/30/2007)

By siris.

RE: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I've never tried to refill a glade plug in, but I have refilled small perfume bottles (a bottle small enough to carry in my purse). My mother was diabetic and I snagged one of her needles and filled it, then used it to fill the perfume bottle. If you have access to one, you could try that. (08/30/2007)

By duckie43

RE: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I tried the suggestion posted about the liquid potpourri and it worked. I actually use the Febreeze brand with the two changing scents. So I bought two different scents, popped the plastic tops off, filled them, snapped the tops back on and now my room is filled with a fresh scent. I actually like this better than the one that was originally in it. I am using cider apple on one side and pear on the other. Smells like a country kitchen in here! (05/18/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Archive: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I've read the recipe for refilling reed diffusers. Its a great idea since the good ones are quite expensive and the ones from a dollar store just don't work all that well. My question is, does anyone know if you can use this same recipe for refilling the bottles for plug-in air fresheners, or does anyone have a recipe?

It makes me angry that the companies like Glade, etc. sell the bottles only 3/4 full. The prices are quite high when you have a few of these in the house. I have found the tops do come off so could be refilled. I'm tossing out 4 - 6 of the glass bottles every month or so. It is terrible to fill the trash with them.

By EM10 from Ontario, Canada

RE: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

I thought about the liquid potpourri, however, it is obvious the commercial refills for Glade products, etc. are made with an oil base and the liquid potpourri is a water base. I've tried it already finding the liquid evaporates with the heat, but does not put any smell out of the Plug Ins. Back to the drawing board. (06/11/2009)

By EM10

RE: Refilling Glade Plug-ins

After reading EM10's post I decided to Google search for a possible inexpensive oil recipe to use and share. Just came across this link while searching that gives me pause about not using standard air fresheners at all any more. I am a fresh smell junky so will be going through major withdrawals. The information in the link is important health wise and especially if you use an ozone machine. I recently had to begin oxygen therapy when sleeping with an oxygen concentrator and since they work by way of recycling indoor air to collect and concentrate oxygen, well, the Plug-ins just got unplugged. Will be using the good old fashioned ways suggested in the link and search for other natural ways. Will share whatever I come up with you.

care2.com (06/12/2009)

By Deeli