Old-Fashioned Fun Recipes

Arleen Kaptur

There are just too many toxic chemicals in some of the things that our children play with. They are also very expensive. Here are a few safe products that will delight your youngster for hours.

Play dough:

• 3 cups flour
  • 1-1/2 cups salt
  • 1-1/2 cups water,
  • 2 tbs. oil
  • food coloring

Mix all together. Divide into small portions and add food coloring for the color you want. If too moist, add more flour. Store in covered containers and keep cool. Not to be eaten just played with.

Finger Paints:

• 3 tbs. sugar
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 2 cups cold
  • water
  • food coloring

Mix sugar and cornstarch in pan. Add water; stir. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will boil, then thicken. Cook about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool. Separate into 4-5 cups. Add food coloring a drop at a time. Add a drop of dish detergent in each cup to make clean-up a breeze. Paint on paper, cardboard, or posterboard.

Soap Bubbles:

• 1/2 cup dish detergent
  • 5 cups cold water
  • 2 tbs. sugar

Mix gently and pour into bottles. Makes great bubbles.

Face paint:

• 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp.
  • water
  • 1/2 tsp.
  • cold cream
  • food coloring

In each cup, mix the ingredients. Add a drop or two of food coloring, a different color for each cup. Stir and paint to the delight of all your children and their friends.

Brings back some fond memories, doesn't it?
ENJOY!

By Arleen

"Play dough"

Oh yes! I've made this a few weeks ago for my daughter and it works GREAT! If it dries up a little or is too wet, just add flour and water til it gets just right. So much cheaper too! We use old yogurt containers with the lids to keep it in. Orange dough goes in the, yup, you guessed it, the orange yogurt container etc. etc.

Thanks for the recipes. I don't have kids of my own, but I keep the recipes around for friends or just in case I feel the need to become a little creatively childish. LOL

I have a bunch of playdough type recipes if anyone is interested. Some are edible and some aren't. Let me know.

Tonya

Girl Playing with Colorful Playdough
Homemade Play Dough Recipes
Crafts Crafts For KidsSeptember 27, 2006
Shelf Scarf from Hankies
Crafts Using Old Handkerchiefs
Making Cloud Dough
Making Cloud Dough
Boy dressed in an old man costume.
Making an Old Man Costume
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
🎉
🎄