Potted Plants For Wedding Decorations

When my husband and I got married seven years ago, we were determined to have a wonderful, yet debt free, day! One of the things that we did to save money was to use potted plants that were in season to decorate, like marigolds and other "autumn" colored plants. We purchased my bouquet, groom's and groomsmen's buttonhole flowers, and single stems for the bridesmaids from a florist, but all the other flowers came from a local nursery.

We had an outdoor autumn wedding, so we took purchased cornstalks and hay bales to decorate the entry ways to the tent (the tent was an expense but worth every penny for a reception site and as a backup ceremony site should it rain). The hay bales helped to disguise large plant pots. Smaller pots were "prettied up" with swatches of cloth or lace, and at day's end, the plants were given to our moms and grandparents.

I am not blessed with a green thumb but I suppose to cut expenses further you could grow the flowers from seed. I would suggest stashing cash away, however, in case the plants do not thrive. If the plants do well, you will have that much more money to spend on your honeymoon or to put toward other expenses.

Top Comment

This is a wonderful idea!! I bet your reception was gorgeous! And how thoughtful, to give the plants away to loved ones as a parting gift. A constant, living reminder of such a special day! My husband & I were married in autumn as well. Its by far my favorite season. We didn't have a real wedding, so on our 10th anniversary we are going to renew our vows and have a proper ceremony. This has given me such a great idea for decoration. While ours is stil a few years away, you can never plan too early! Thanks!

This is a great idea for any special occasion, not just for weddings. I attended an organizational anniversary in 2008. The centerpieces at each table were groupings of small potted plants (sorry I forget the name of the plants.) At the end of the evening, everyone was invited to take at least one plant home with them. That was the first indoor plant hubby ever grew successfully, that is, until last winter when he forgot to bring it in off the deck.