Making a Table Cloth from a Doily Pattern

This is a hospitality doily that I have. Can someone tell me if I can enlarge the pattern to make a table cloth from it? If so, how?

Or if someone has a tablecloth pattern similar to this doily pattern. I wanted a pattern no bigger than 38 inches round in diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By LilNannaJJ from MN

You don't say how large the doily is. You could try a larger crochet needle and/or a heavier cotton, but that can be tricky when crocheting in a circle. The only way to find out is to try it and see how it goes. I have been crocheting for years with cotton thread and love it. I have enlarged several doilies this way, but am always prepared to undo a row and redesign it a bit if it doesn't work quite as smooth as I would like. Good luck. the doily in the photo is stunning and I can see why you want to use the pattern.

You might want to think of one of three ideas:

1. Either find a cool doily pattern that you like that is under 6", and just keep making them till you have enough to join them together for a tablecloth size.

2. Cheat and find the two for 1.00 at the dollar tree imports, and again, join them for a unique blend of either ecru, white, green or red, as that seems to be the only colors they offer.

3. Cheat really big and go to thrift shops, find cool older ones, clean and iron them and join them. Each one will have a different shape and look.

It's fun to join them with a bit of ribbon, then trim the ribbon and cover the table cloth with sheets of clear plastic. You can get it at any Walmart in 5' widths. Have some fun!

That will be tricky. But, if you can do it...beautiful! Good luck and God bless you. : )

I have Coats & Clark's book of pineapple patterns from 1946. Contact me with your mailing address and I will copy and send a couple of patterns that will enable you to make a pineapple doily of as large a diameter as you wish. The directions are too long to copy here.

You might also check the magazine stands in craft stores and book stores for crochet magazines that might have a pineapple pattern.

If you haven't found a tablecloth pattern yet, I have some beautiful pineapple patterns I can send you. One especially is very easy and fun to make and you can make the smaller one or larger one. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

Phyllis

Ft. Madison, IA

Crafts CrochetSeptember 8, 2009
Wagon Wheel Doily
Making a Wagon Wheel Doily
stack of yo yo paper weights
Making Yo Yo Pattern Weights
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Coffee Filter Doily
Making a Coffee Filter Doily
🎄