Fixing Grout Cracked When Removing Caulk

I need to replace old caulk (due to mildew and cracks) around my metal tub with tiled shower. When I started removing the old caulk up the tiled corners, I got a little more than I think I should have! It looks like the grout was 'cracked' as well. What do I need to do? Do I just fill the space with more caulk? Will the tiles still hold? Help!

lizinTX from Austin,TX

Cracked Grout

My suggestion is to call the Grout Dr. He will scrape the old/loose stuff out, and he'll regrout. He does a great job. It's what we had to do as well.

Go to your local Hardware store and get a tube of silicone grout and a grout gun, ask the rep. to show you how to use it. Run a line of grout down the corner and then run your wet finger along the line, wipe off any that gets on the tile. This is something that is not hard to do and materials are not expensive. The glue behind the tile holds the tile on the wall not the grout. So the tile should be OK.

Just buy some more grout and apply. Then put the caulk back on it looks like a small job. Easy fix.

Where the plane changes on a grouted surface you should use caulk. That means corners whether they be inside or outside corners, vertical or horizontal. Caulk and grout are not the same things.

You don't need grout under caulk. just make sure you do a good job sealing the corner off with the caulk and you'll be fine!

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomNovember 25, 2007
Window Caulk
Cleaning Window Caulk
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 4:00:25 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.