Cleaning Microwave Popcorn Stains and Odor

I am writing to thank the person who said acetone free nail polish remover would remove the yellow stain in my microwave oven left after seriously burning a bag of microwave popcorn. She was absolutely right on! At first, I tried 10 ounces water and three teabags boiled and letting it steam the inside of the microwave but this did not get rid of the smell nor the yellow stain. I also tried soft scrub, 409 glass and surface cleaner, and vinegar water. Each of those cleaned the microwave of the first layer of carbon from the burned popcorn but did not take care of the smell nor the yellow stain. The yellow stain was removed only by the acetone free nail polish remover, which I tried in a small spot first because I thought for sure the paint enamel would peel right off. I don't believe everything I read. I cleaned the yellow stain off with acetone free nail polish using lots of cotton balls. So go at the problem like this:

1. Clean first with any cleaner you like to get the first layer off down to the yellow stain, this means the door, window, top, bottom, sides and outside vent across the top of the microwave.

2. Use the acetone free nail polish on cotton balls and go over everything: ie, inside window and inside door, top, bottom, sides.

3. Wash microwave with soapy water.

4. Rinse with vinegar water. Once the yellow stain is removed you have removed the main source of the smell! Until the yellow is gone, you will have the smell. Don't use your microwave until you have completed this whole process.

5. Final step to take is to peel two oranges, put them in a microwaveable dish with water enough to barely cover them and boil for 4 minutes. I stood and watched them boil because I didn't want a boil over or burned orange peels! Leave the door closed for 12 hours.

Our popcorn disaster would not have gotten this bad if our smoke alarm, which goes off over a crumb in the toaster, had gone off! We had failed to test and replace the battery. Don't let it happen to you! And, don't walk into another room while microwaving popcorn, stand guard while doing popcorn!

By Sunshine from Columbus, ND

Yes! The nail polish definitely worked! I tried everything I could think of to remove it. Nothing worked but the nail polish remover. I went over it again and again, I'd say that 95% of the yellow is gone, a vast improvement.

Absolutely agree on the nail polish solution. It doesn't do 100% but I'm happy with the 90% it did do.