I am writing to thank the person who said acetone free nail polish remover would remove the yellow stain in my microwave oven left after seriously burning a bag of microwave popcorn. She was absolutely right on! At first, I tried 10 ounces water and three teabags boiled and letting it steam the inside of the microwave but this did not get rid of the smell nor the yellow stain. I also tried soft scrub, 409 glass and surface cleaner, and vinegar water. Each of those cleaned the microwave of the first layer of carbon from the burned popcorn but did not take care of the smell nor the yellow stain. The yellow stain was removed only by the acetone free nail polish remover, which I tried in a small spot first because I thought for sure the paint enamel would peel right off. I don't believe everything I read. I cleaned the yellow stain off with acetone free nail polish using lots of cotton balls. So go at the problem like this:
Our popcorn disaster would not have gotten this bad if our smoke alarm, which goes off over a crumb in the toaster, had gone off! We had failed to test and replace the battery. Don't let it happen to you! And, don't walk into another room while microwaving popcorn, stand guard while doing popcorn!
By Sunshine from Columbus, ND
Yes! The nail polish definitely worked! I tried everything I could think of to remove it. Nothing worked but the nail polish remover. I went over it again and again, I'd say that 95% of the yellow is gone, a vast improvement.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!