Removing Red Sharpie From Bedspread

I was writing a philosophy paper on my bed, and was using a red sharpie highlighter to highlight my quotes. Without realizing it I misplaced the marker and it sat on my brand new bed spread for a good amount of time. The bed spread is black and white so I can't bleach it, and the stain can't be hidden by turning the bed spread. I already tried a damp cloth which picked up some ink, but spread it out more too. I also tried Barbasol shave cream which helped a little more. I'm afraid to use nail polish remover because it might take the black out of the fabric. Please help!

Hilary Smith from Livonia, MI

There are two things that might work. Take the spread and stand by the sink with the tap running on low. Drip rubbing alcohol on the red area and then stick that area under the area to rinse out the dispersed ink. Keep doing this (alternating between the rubbing alcohol and water) till the stain has totally dispersed.

Another thing that might work is old-fashioned hairspray in an aerosol can. Use it as you would use the rubbing alcohol, with the same procedure as above.

I have used both of these with success.

I have had moderate success by using "Expo" dry erase board cleaner.

If the black and white areas are pieced together, as in quilting, you could just replace the white section?

I had a similar problem with a roller ball ink pen that fell off my desk on to my daughter's baby quilt. I did the hairspray/ alcohol and water thing and got out as much as possible, then slathered it with stain stick (has to be the stick) and let it sit for a week or so, then washed it. It worked great! No trace of the ink. It wasn't a sharpie though so I don't know if it will work the same but it can't hurt to try it. (stain stick is a godsend! it even takes out grease stains that have been through the dryer! - between that and oxy-clean, there is rarely a stain that i haven't been able to conquer)

best of luck with your beadspread!

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsOctober 6, 2007
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄