Use Baskets To Organize Freezer

I must admit that I read these tips and I don't remember where. (It may have even been on this site!) The article I read suggested using small baskets for different categories of food. The categories were as follows: beef, chicken, pork, prepped foods, and prepared foods.

I have a garden and don't consume that much meat so my categories combine beef and pork and add veggies. Prepped foods would include things like chopped peppers, onions, etc., prepared sauces such as marinara, or perhaps shelled nuts. Prepared foods would include casseroles ready for the oven, meatballs ready to cook, etc. This seems to work for me. I purchased my small plastic baskets for around $1.50 at the dollar store. Of course these are just suggestions. Each of us have different tastes and needs. However you choose organize it, the baskets seem to do the trick!

I also have quart size canning jars for small packages of chopped nuts, ginger nubs, nutmeg, etc. This prevents the small packages from falling into cracks and getting lost. Gallon size resealable bags would also work great for these small items.

When I freeze in plastic bags, I try to make them as flat as possible and place on a cutting board in the freezer. (Remove cutting board when packet is frozen.) The flatter the better for storing!

By Mom L from Graham, TX

All good ideas and ones I plan to put to use in our chest freezer. It's true that I can never find anything in there, and once it's buried, it tends to remain that way. There is a large basket at the top that is built into the freezer, and it should have given me the idea about using the rest of the space. It's going to be a job now, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm not a disorganized person at all, but that chest freezer has gotten away from me.

Thank you for suggesting some simple ways to correct it. They are just the very incentive I needed to get started.

A chest freezer full of frozen food.
Organizing Your Chest Freezer
Organizing Freezer and FridgeJuly 22, 2011
Growing Vegetables in Hanging Baskets
Growing Vegetables in Hanging Baskets
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
paper flower basket
Making May Day Baskets
Wicker Basket
Repairing Wicker Baskets