AdviceCrafts

Craft Activities to Cure Boredom and Lose Weight

I am trying to lose weight and I eat because well because I am bored. In order to lose weight I need to fill my day with activites, like crafts, so does anyone have fun crafts that will fill my time so i can lose some weight?

Katie

Katie, I found that learning something new helps to take your mind off food. Why don't you learn to crochet!! It is one of the needle arts crafts that doesnt require lots of suppleis & stuff to store! There are yarn shops all over that teach the needle arts. You will be learning something that will be timeless, and can cover any style, fad or go from home deco to clothes to whatever. After you get to know how,it can be wery relaxing. Just start with a big hook and thick yarn, for lots of fun. About 35 years ago, I took a class to learn and have taught several people, like my mom. She crochets the best baby blankets! My almost 3 grandson told me how he just loved his blankie that his great gramma made him!! ! I like all kinds of crafts and there is a time & placae for them all. But to spend time to learn a skill like crocheting that you one day may pass on is timeless!! Something we need more of, don't you agree. And it is very portable. I crochet on the buss, car or plane, in waiting rooms, while watching t.v. or listening to music or talking on the phone. It is real good therapy if you are uptight or a nervous kind of person that can't sit still. Remember to break a habit you have to replace it with a good habit!!! Try crocheting, and best of luck!! Clara from WAshington State

I read somewhere that a change in activities sometimes triggers the urge for a snack. You might want to take this into account.

Also, I cured my chocolate cravings by treating myself to a cup of cocoa. I researched it on the internet and found out that the chocolate cravings were a signal due to a magnesium deficiency.

A cup of hot cocoa made with boiling water, cocoa powder and soy milk or skim milk with artificial sweetener is probably legit on any diet you can think of.

I sweeten mine with flavorings from www.davincigourmet.com and add a little strong decaf coffee, water and protein powder. Available occasionally at Ross for half of the price from the DaVinci internet store. Vanilla and another flavor mixed together as sweeteners make a treat to rival Starbucks at a much lower price.

Holly

Hey, I found that I couldn't eat while doing counted cross stitch. Nor did I want food around in case I spilled something on the piece I was working on. That happened to me once and after you put in all of that time making something original you won't want to take the chance of it being ruined. Good luck!!

Check out some local quilt shops for quilting classes. Again it is hard to eat while quilting and taking classes, you will meet some new people and might just make some new friends to help you not be bored. Also, look for some opportunities to volunteer in your community. I am very involved in raising my children, volunteering at church, supporting my husband in his many activities, and doing my own hobbies. I seem to have forgotten what bored is! What a great idea to lose weight by the way! Best wishes.

Katie, Give Scrapbooking a try. You can record your family history & have fun at the same time! Just be sure to use acid free paper so future generations will be able to enjoy your work. Also, since I'm afaid I will spill something on the paper, I don't snack while working on my books! Hope this helps!

Oh, yes, I know just how you feel - bored and getting

boreder - and bigger - by the day.

Might I suggest pottery? I know it might sound a bit

daunting, but (and I'm not sure where you live) there's

sure to be a pottery class somewhere near you - most

suburban Councils have them.

I'd often thought of pottery before but felt it was too much

trouble - having to have a kiln, having to learn how to

use a wheel, buy clay, etc. etc. but NO.

The group will have a kiln, and will do all the firing for you,

you don't have to know how to throw, the easiest thing

is something called slabbing - if you can roll ou pastery

and line a pie dish - you can be a potter. And don't worry

about glazes and patterns - I've been limiting myself to

smooth glossy white, it looks sooo expensive - just like

in expensive home magazines.

I've been doing it only a couple of months and I've made

big beautiful bowls and dishes (just drape the rolled-out clay over

a mould and let it dry), a whole set of chinese dishes (again

just roll out and fit around and then paint on on two swooping

lines to make oriental eyes) big tall vases (wrapped around

styrofoam moulds)

Believe me it's really easy but MOST IMPORTANTLY when you've

finished you've actually got something you can use and that's

impressive, rather than dinky little things that you'd never normally

have anything to do with.

And believe me with clay costing hardingly anything

(cost of eight chinese dishes - $4 dollars Australian the lot - which I

gues is about $9 American) you'll never have to buy expensive

gifts again.

This year I made big circular balls, with a hole cut out to insert

a tea light and painted them glossy white and hung from silver

ribbons. Everybody adored them, and they cost about 50cents

each.

Sorry, this is such along message, but I can't tell you just how

much pleasure and satisfaction I've got from making my own pottery.

Also you're out of the house while you're at the meetings, but I

also do a lot of work at home - lots of newspaper on the table -

and just take it in to be fired. And all I need is a rolling pin and

a sharp knife. As I said before, think rolling out pastry and you're

there.

If you'd like to email me back, I'd be happy to talk further.

Rosem'ry from Australia.

You could try activities that involve exercise or going outside instead of things that would keep you in your home - walking your dog (or a friend's), gardening, riding a bike, exercise class (meet new friends), researching something at your local library, cleaning your house, etc. If you're bored, you need to get out more. Crafts would help you meet people only if you join a class or group to do the craft. Otherwise, you still go crazy in your house doing your craft (or art) by yourself...and are still tempted to eat, because it's only a few steps to the refrigerator.

I suggest you find a nice quiet place to walk daily for about 30 minutes. If you are lucky enough to live in the country or have a park nearby, take a camera with you so you. It gives you a reason to look at everything more closely and appreciate what is all around you for free! You will find yourself taking more time to amble around and see more of what there is. The photos will remind you and if you have a computer you can use these photos to make greeting cards and notes for sending to friends.

Emily

http://www.fotogifts.net

dance class

hi i moved to ga last year and was a 5x now im down to a 2x/3x and this is not due to me not eating i just got active. i have a few small dogs and i do everything from sewing to gardening . i hate to exercize so the busier i am the better and yes i eat less now cause i dont want to put it back on. there are all kinds of crafts out there depending on your budget i try to use house hold items going to the dump and find other uses for the from garden ornaments to doggie toys so your on the right track there is also a web site on line called hungry girls that can help with new recipes and get a partner in person or online that can help to encourage you. if youd like to keep in touch my name is denise and my email is warnerd5 AT aol.com good luck!

Taking those dogs for long walks would help you to lose lots of weight and it would do wonders for your health and the health of your dogs. It's a lovely way to spend time with your best little friends, also. Also, you might see if there is a dog park in your area where you can take them and they can play with other dogs. Most people at dog parks are nice people. Good luck.