Breed Information: Chinese Shar-Pei

Breed Description: The Chinese Shar-Pei is a medium-sized, muscular dog, easily distinguished by its harsh coat and the wrinkles and folds that cover its face and body. These wrinkles once served to keep the breed from being pinned down during dogfights. Today the Shar-Pei is prized for its friendly nature and independent spirit.

Group: Non-Sporting group.

Purpose of Breed: Originally thought be to bred for dog fighting

Country of Origin: China

Average Size: Range from 18-20 inches and 35-45 pounds.

Color(s): Solid colors only, typically black, red, chocolate, cream or fawn.

Coat Type: A distinguishing feature of this breed is its extremely harsh coat that stands straight out from the body. Coat lengths can range from being extremely short to one inch in length

Grooming: Regular brushing of the coat is required. Their eyes and ears need to be given extra care due to their folded skin.

Exercise Needs: This independentl-minded breed requires plenty of regular exercise and should be kept on a lead or safely within a fenced backyard.

Temperament: The Chinese Shar-Pei is a highly intelligent breed and extremely loyal and devoted to his family. This breed has a dominant and independent nature that is calm and dignified, yet aloof and snobbish at the same time. Naturally reserved around strangers, the Chinese Shar-Pei makes a good watch dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to skin and eyelid problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 8-10 years.

Trivia: The name "Shar-Pei" means "sand-skin," or loosely translated, "Rough, sandy coat," which are distinguishing characteristics of the breed. Along with the Chow Chow, the Shar-Pei is the only dog to sport a blue-black tongue.

More Information: Chinese Shar-Pei Club of America, Inc., www.cspca.com

THANK YOU ELLEN FOR ALL THE INFO ON DOG BREEDS. I CURRENTLY HAVE A COCKER RIGHT NOW BUT KNOW IF I EVER THINK ABOUT CHANGING BREEDS I KNOW WHERE TO GO TO DO MY HOMEWORK... RIGHT HERE !

I need some advice. My fiance and I just got a 5 month old Ore pei. It wasn't house trained, so we've been trying to teach it, nothing works. We had a cat before him, he wants to chew on her tail. He wants to bite at our skin, we have toys. He's more aggresive playful than puppy playful. What are we doing wrong? Will Petsmart training help ?

Email me at Innocence_six AT yahoo.com

please help.

Heather

I love these dogs! Are they good to have? Do they fight with other dogs? Easily house trained?

X )Maisy

Chinese Shar-Pei
Chinese Shar Pei Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Chinese Shar PeiApril 9, 2006
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Hairless Chinese Crested Dog
Hairless Chinese Crested Breed Information and Photos
Bowl of hot and sour soup.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup Recipes
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎉
🎄