My Rabbit Has a Scab on Its Back

I have been given two rabbits; one white, the other black. I have noticed that the white one has a nasty scab forming on its back and the fur has fallen out. The whole area is hard to the touch. Does anyone have any idea what this is and how it can be treated. They are both females.

Carolyn from South Africa

i had a rabbit that that had happened to and it was an abcess from an infection you may need to take it to the vet unfortunately mine had to be put down

Could be mites, they eat away and leave a scab, Has to go to a Vet and be checked out, Or the other could end up with the same thing. Or you can use oil on the scab. Baby oil will do, kills mites if thats what it is

I had 2 bunnies growing up; and one used to "mount" the other one. (They were both girls, and sweet as can be. I am not sure what the mounting was about--I guess just hormones run amok, since they were not fixed.)

But the one who was more submissive would end up with some fur off her back, and a scab because it was pulled out. It always healed; the behavior was only once-in-a-while; and it decreased as they got older.

Luckily for us, it never ended up being an issue. Watch them--if one is mounting the other, that could be the cause. (And if they're not the same sex, prepare for babies!)

Most likely the one rabbit did bite the other one. Keep an eye on the scab. Make sure it's not a 'hot' spot. The fur will grow back. If in a week or so it doesn't look better take it to the vet. Could also be a fungus or fly strike. Is this a house rabbit? They can be litter trained like a cat and be kept inside. I would never house a rabbit outside. Mine has the run of the basement playroom. She does drop 'pearls' here and there, but easily cleaned up. Rabbits cannot tolerate heat. If they are outside, freeze soda bottles, etc. Give to the buns so they can lay near them to cool off. And in the winter you can get a heated water bottle. Even if the bottle does not freeze the spout can. Make sure they have enough hay in their house to borrow in and keep the cage well covered. Better yet, inside.

No fly strike is for the bottom my rabbit had it on its neck and my rabbits don't have fly strike I told the vet and this was the answer they have been biting each over or been fitting with each over so keep an I on the scab and if it doesn't heel in a week take the rabbit to the vet to keep an I on the scab ok

take to vet please

Vet time, please

Get the poor rabbit to the vet...asap

When you check the with the vet for your rabbit, they may need to check for cancer.

PLEASE take your rabbit to the dr a . s.a.p

I have a friend who raises & shows rabbits. I asked her your question & here's her response:

We're not sure what the problem might be - rabbits can get mange (treatment is a 0.5 % malathion dip). It could also just be an infected bite or scratch. If the rabbits are in the same cage together, then the other one may be picking on it. Rabbits can also get ringworm, but it usually occurs on the face or feet. I'm not sure, but would assume that rabbits can get "hot spots" like dogs do from flea or tick bites. I'd probably try just cleaning it good and putting some antibiotic cream on it first and see if that helps.

Hope it's helpful.

Barbara in Arkansas, USA

I was grooming my rabbit with the require brush when I lightly touched a scab, its about 1 cm big and it came off. I'm worried for my rabbit now.

It could just be an itch that got over scratched, I do it, and so does my rabbit sometimes.

Pets RabbitsAugust 20, 2006
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Young girl in a pink bunny costume.
Making a Bunny Rabbit Costume
House Training a Rabbit
House Training a Rabbit
🎄