Front Load Washer Vs. Top Load Washer

Does anyone have an opinion on getting a new front loading high-efficiency washing machine versus an Energy Star top load washer?

By Tiffany from FL

Best Answer

I love my new front loader, it seems to get the clothes much cleaner and I can fit more in there too. I also use much less soap and I'm sure my energy and water bills are lower.

The only complaint I have ever heard is problems with having a smelly washer over time. I have had it over 6 months and have just recently noticed some small odor problems, which cleared up when I ran the cleaning function. I would recommend never using liquid fabric softener and only using HE soap though, that seems to be why people have problems.

It may be true that you have to bend over more for a front loader but I am short and would have to sort of jump up to get all the clothes out of my old washer. For me, it is much easier. Plus, it is pretty funny to see the kids gather around it and watch the clothes spin around, I may cancel cable! :)

Best Answer

On my front loader, I have a choice of fast spin or regular. I think my front loader is far easier on my clothes than a top loader with and agitator. Front loaders gently lift and drop the clothes, not beat them to death. They use less water, soap and electricity. At least that's what my research told me when I was considering buying mine about 8 years ago. I love mine. I can put far more in it without squishing them too tightly. I'd never willingly go back to a top loader.

Best Answer

I have a Cabrio top loading washer. It saves on water, using small amounts for small loads. The capacity is huge. I wash my quilted king size bedspread in it, and dry it in my Cabrio dryer. I haven't found it hard on clothes, and have had it for a couple of years.

Best Answer

I like my top loading sud saver Maytag. The few times I wished for the front load for certain things is few in the year, and the laundromat is one block away for those things.

Negatives: Opening the door to check stains on clothing so you don't go the full cycle locked and can't see. Restarting the wash cycle 2-3 times over for more extended swish time. Can't use the washer to dye anything you would need.

Can't just fill. swish for 5 minutes and let it presoak something for a couple hours, check it, soak again.

Also, you can't open it and check it and restart the spin cycle all over again. This is the same reasons I like my regular washer.

My neighbor was forced into choosing which kind to replace hers with and so got the front loader--had to buy special detergent for her new one, hauled over several bottles of what she used to use. Myself, I have used the proper detergent they require since 1977. I use a 1 oz measure with each load.

Just think about having to bend over more with a front load. If you happen to have a back ache as most people do as they get older. I'd rather have a top load, good luck.

We bought a new washer and dryer a couple of years ago. Front loading washer smelled awful after only 3 months. The salesman said you have to run a bleach load about once a week and clean the rubber gasket on the front of the machine. I didn't want to have to maintain something else around here, so we returned it. Bought a top loading machine and have had no problems.

They just had this very topic in Consumer Reports. As magazines always seem to run a month or two in advance I'm not sure which month it was. But if you have access to them, check it out. Perhaps the library would have them if you don't know anyone with them. They listed the pros and cons of each type and the ratings for each type so you can make the choice that's right for you.

I love, love, love my LG front loading washer and dryer. Mine has a presoak setting, it uses less water and is gentler on the clothing. The matching dryer has a rack you can put in for sweaters or sneakers to dry. We got the underneath storage drawers which raise them both so very little bending. I would never go back to top loaders again.

Couple shopping for washing machines
Front Load Washer Vs. Top Load Washer
Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and Home Clothes Washing MachinesFebruary 24, 2010
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Front Load Washer
Front Load Washer Makes Noise During Final Rinse Cycle
🎉
🎄