Learn Calligraphy

Learning some calligraphy (just simple italics) has really come in handy over the years. I got a book and practiced a bit and then started using sets of colored felt-tipped calligraphic markers - they last a long time if you take care of them.

I didn't know how useful it would be to be able to make handprinted signs, labels, and so on. You can also write out decorative mottos and longer inspirational quotations to set around the house to inspire you and your family. (And your overall penmanship improves, too!)

By pamphyilafrom L.A., CA

I agree, several years back. my husband gave me a calligraphy set for our anniversary.I had always loved the look, and so I decided to teach myself.I think that it can be entirely up to the individual, unless it is for a class or super formal occasion.I think that you can develop your own style.Also as you feel more comfortable you can earn a little money or help out a friend with addressing wedding invitations.I love to crochet, make ribbon roses, calligrahy, draw and paint, and from those things and while working I did get carpal tunnel sp? syndrome, so even though it is off the calligraphy subject, it is important to learn ways to help prevent it.I don't know all the proper body mechanics, but when I am sleeping I tend to roll my hand over and need to wear a writst splint to prevent this at night.I would still say don't take my crafts and computer away from me.Back to the calligraphy, you can personalize so many things and can include it in art work.You can calligraphy someone's first name and think of the qualities that person has that would involve the letters in their name, like Susan, Special, Unique, Sensitive, Amazing, Nice. Hope it help's,Kersti P.S. the wrist splint at night helps with the symptoms, and keeps you from rolling your hand over into a fist

About felt tipped pens/markers. If they start to run dry why not give them a new life with a few drops of rubbing alcohol or isopropalene alcohol. Just take off the end cap and and apply a few drops down the inside. Works best with permanent markers; waterbased markers need to be pretty dry, but the effect is to give an extended life and even enhance the colors.

My daughter in law paid someone something like $100 to address 300 wedding invitations, so this is a skill you can develop to help make some extra money to supplement your income! The ones she had done were really pretty basic calligraphy so I imagine that you could even charge more for a "fancy" version of your own style.

Woman Writing Calligraphy
Using Calligraphy in Craft Projects
Crafts AdviceMay 4, 2006
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
Man Tuning His Guitar
Tuning a Guitar
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Ghostbusters Costume
Dusting Blinds
Dusting Hard to Reach Places
🎉
🎄