Creative Uses for a Heat Gun

What creative uses does a heat gun have?

By Annchristin from Kent, UK

I have used my heat gun to aid in defrosting my mini refrigerator, to add little extra brown to my pie crust and melt the cheese on my pizza if it didn't brown enough, to heat PVC pipe to bend in a candy cane and joint ' s for my Halloween characters, used it to do shrink art with clear plastic lids, to soften hoses to slip on a new connection the same with my micro tubing sprinkler system, 2 Heat Wax and rub it on my garden tool handles when the sun wasn't hot enough, to heat and misshapen plastic bottles to put Halloween decorations in so they will look creepy, I have even taken it outside to kill weeds in the cracks of the driveway, it works. That's all I can think of right now, I can't wait to see what other people have done.

Hi Barbie - a really good start to this thread. Thank You so much!

Whilst messing around with the heat gun for other craft purposes I discovered that if you apply intense heat to a preferably blank CD disk, it distorts and bubbles up, looking like glass. The printed side cracks. You can also use acrylic paint on the printed cracked side. You need to apply the paint after you have heated the disc on the print side. The paint then shows through the cracks. There are also other effects you can achieve depending where you heat and at what stage the paint gets applied. I broke one cd and experimented on that to see what came up. Potentially bits could make nice jewelery.

WARNING: You need to work close to an open window or outside and wear a builders mask. The fumes are in all likelihood poisonous. I made a nice candle drip holder, melting the centre of the CD until it collapsed downwards.

I'm sure there must be many, many more uses, so come on guys - keep them coming.

I will try to upload my creation in the future.

Thanks

Ann-Christin

Heat Guns are a great way to remove paint! You can use them to re-heat a self-adhesive stick-on vinyl tile floor square. They make the glue stick again. You can also use them to remove old self-sticking vinyl tile floor tile(s). They bend & warp old vinyl records for making cool looking bowls.

We've used one to thaw pipes in the winter.

Crafts AdviceJune 20, 2009
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
Using a Hot Glue Gun
Using a Hot Glue Gun
Cleaning a Glue Gun
Cleaning a Hot Glue Gun
🎄
🍂