Peanut Butter Cravings

I am trying to loose weight and my biggest weakness is peanut butter. I'm talking about anything with peanut butter and lots of it and the result is weight gain. Is there anything I can do to reduce cravings? What causes these cravings? Are there any home remedies that will work or a supplement I could take?

By ladydragonfly13 from GA

I just finished reading the book "I can make you thin", by Paul McKenna. If there is any book available out there to help you with cravings it is this one. Another thought too is to check him out on youtube.com and he can show you how to loose weight and keep it off. Best of luck, Karyn

How about trying the Peanut Butter Diet? Read about it at http://www.dietspotlight.com/peanut-butter-diet-review/

I'm a Prevention Magazine subscriber - apparently, many people succeeded on it. I checked half.com - Prevention's Peanut Butter Diet book is being sold for 75 cents + shipping. Search on "peanut butter diet" (no quotes, of course). Good luck!

Try powdered peanut butter. Some girls I work with are on Weight Watchers and have been eating this and love it. You just mix it with water. Here's a link where it can be purchased: http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/diet/jams/pb2-powdered-peanut-butter.asp. You can probably find other sites that sell it too. Good luck!

Try mixing peanut butter with silken tofu. It's tasty, healthy, and will get you the flavor and save on calories. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember the proportions I used. I suggest you just experiment with seeing how little peanut butter you can use to still satisfy your craving.

Hi.

Have a small teaspoon of olive oil when you feel a craving coming on. Seems to work for some people.

Also good for heart health.

I can't help you, but wanted to let you know that I commiserate! I eat my peanut butter mostly on a spoon. A big soup spoon! I've even made emergency runs to the market when I ran out. I need help too!

The sugar in the peanut butter might be causing the cravings. I use "natural" peanut butter with no sugar added.

Years ago when I was doing Weight Watchers I remember one of the ladies talking about mixing PB with fat free cream cheese to stretch the serving size. I don't remember the proportions for sure, but I think it was half and half. I never tried it myself.

It's really all about moderation though. I eat PB nearly every day, but it is almost always just 1 serving. Every now and then I sneak in 2.

Tracey in Jacksonville FL

My peanut butter craves were coupled with the crave for Orange juice at the same time. This was the precursor to my migraines.

So, the missing link there was Vitamin B 2, which is very abundant in both. O.k. So maybe that is not the issue--BUT our craves tell us something IS missing. Maybe get with a nutritionist or naturopathic.

With the peanut recall, you have to choose which nuts to use. I use RAW ALMONDS, whole. 12 of those is a serving with will satisfy carb count and a healthy fat. Thing is with the peanut butter, it would be o.k. if the other fats were not added NOR the salt NOR the sugar.

Often people get cravings for foods that they have allergies to. (Not all peanut allergies cause sudden swelling and worse.) Other times we crave foods that contain a vitamin or mineral that our bodies need. Some nutritionists believe that peanuts carry a fungus that is detrimental to us. Cravings could indicate withdrawal from it.

Whatever the cause, have you tried other "butters?" There are probably butters/spreads made from other nuts or seeds that are lower in calories than peanuts. Could it just be the saltiness or crunchiness or smoothness that you crave? A friend of mine craves salty and crunchie foods; I crave soft and gooey ones. Maybe the texture could be your thing.

I'm a PB junkie too. Something that works for me is a little trick I discovered while doing Weight Watchers a couple of years ago. I found that by melting a serving size of PB in the microwave it will stretch to about two servings. Now you have twice as much PB but only the fat and calories of one serving. For those who are questioning if this makes the PB too hot, no it doesn't. You'll need to experiment with it the first couple of times, to get it where YOU want it, but for this junkie it was well worth it. HTH

Years ago when I ran a 4 miles in the morning I would have to have my pb fix.

I would put ice cubes, milk, 2 tablespoons of PB and sprinkle cinnamon (energy) and blend

it is tasty and great on a hot day or any day for me and filling.

I love peanut butter! I have had to have my husband hide it in our house. I think it's the texture that I like. When I was pregnant I ate it right out of the jar with a spoon! Not buying it was the only thing that worked for me. ;)

I too am a Peanut Butter-aholic. Even as a child instead of getting an Easter basket I would get a jar of peanut butter and a solid milk chocolate bunny rabbit...yum. There is a company, I've discovered, that makes products that are healthy for you; most are Sugar Free, Calorie Free. They rang from Chocolate dips, Marshmallow dips, to jams, sauces and yes even Peanut Butter. Some grocery stores carry their products or you can order from their website. WWW.WaldenFarms.com granite some of the products aren't as good as the real thing but you can at least still splurge without regrets. I have a jar of the peanut butter on order. I've had their salad dressings before..pretty good, and I've got their Alfredo sauce here but haven't tried it yet. Maybe it will help with those cravings and no guilt.

Here is the addie to the manufactures of the peanut butter powder (it's called PB2): http://bellplantation.com

This is REAL peanut butter that has been cold pressed to remove most of the fat content.

They also have a chocolate/peanut butter product, both have a lower amount of fat than regular peanut butter and no sugar added. You just mix it with enough water to get the thickness you desire, and use it in any recipe that calls for peanut butter.

They have a new thing called SunButter. It is made from sunflower seeds but tastes like peanut butter .Its lower calorie and better for you. It was made for people allergic to nuts. Health food stores carry it.

Yes, I think I can help. Peanuts can carry a fungus. That fungus feeds a bacteria called candida. When the candida needs to be fed, it will cause cravings of those things that feed it High sugar or high glycemic foods do the same thing. All those things help the candida grow out of control. Be careful all of you out there. This stuff can make staff hard to kill & is found in the center of cancerous tumors. It will make you gain weight, hold onto toxins, cause disease to settle in your kidneys & liver, cause migraines & many other really nasty things. Given long enough, it will kill you. It's the very bacteria that breaks down the human body when you die. When it gets out of control, it is very hard to get under control.

Thank you for all the feed back and I have done some research on candidia so now I am just trying to cut out all the bad foods and find a good supplement to help eliminate the candidia.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingApril 2, 2009
peanut butter bars with chocolate and bacon
Peanut Butter Bars Recipes
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipes
🎉
🎄